little giant help

just purchased a little giant ladder for a good price off of craigslist. I got the 21 foot version and ive watched a couple videos on youtube but I couldnt find one on how to set up the 21 footer. so if you got a skyscraper maybe you could give me some tips on how to extend it.

I saw this video but im thinking pushing the ladder against the customers wall would be frowned upon especially if they have baseboard heat.

im think of setting it up this way but using a small step ladder to reach to slide the top portion up

Wow. I've never seen someone make something so easy so hard. (As in that first video)

Alright... I don't have the 21 foot version... I have the 17 ft. one.... their website is giving me problems and not opening, so I don't know the exact size of the 21 closed...

Anyway, I'm sure it being an extra 4 ft would make this a bit harder, but...

What I do is carry the ladder in to the home. When I get it in the foyer or the family room or where ever the high windows are, I (Page just opened - it's an extra 2 feet) keep the ladder closed and stand it straight up vertical. I then open it into the "A" position.

At that point, I climb up each side and unlock the top. Climb down.... Extend the one side up a few rungs.... lock in *one* lock. Then I push the other side up a few more rungs then the first side. Lock that side in, but again, just one lock.

I just keep going back and forth pushing up each side a few rungs at a time.

Once I get it to the hight that I need, then I lock in all four locks....

It's really not that hard to do.... just takes a little practice.

I love my ladder... it's probably my fav. tool. They are incredibly sturdy and you can use it pretty much anywhere... flat level, stairway, etc.

No, you push it up while standing on the ground.....

I wish I could describe it better.... or video it or something.

Imagine it opened as a "A".... You stand under it... with your arms up... so your body is kindof forming an "X" under it. You push one side up.... flip the 'lock' into the hole.... then push the other side up the same amount of rungs, PLUS a few more. Then lock that in... unlock the other side... push that up a few rungs......

Left... right... left.... right.... left... right....

Exactly what roach said. :thumb

Just be careful where you put your hands. I pinched my hands in one when I first started using them. I was working by myself and lowering it down and it slipped, I was stuck there for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get free.

Also had a knucklehead helper when I worked for another dealer and left him to clean up while I took stuff out to the van, hear a crash coming from inside. Ran in and found him all tangled up in the ladder on the floor. :facepalm I had the legs spread all the way out so it held when he popped all the locks off then went to slide it down one rung and both sides dropped. He rode it all the way down. :lol I told him specifically to wait for me to take down the ladder, he didn't last long with me.

Use a roll of paper towels to push the lock....

Or jump. :)

Short of that (maybe the locks on the 21 ft are a lot higher then the 17??) get a wooden rod... or you could climb up the underside of the ladder until you could reach it while holding the rungs so it doesn't fall. (Which I know I'm not describing that very well, but it's actually doable.)

Depending on the situation, you can lower one side while you are actually on the ladder.... kindof what TE was describing, but just with one side, and VERY carefully. lol

I've done it when I needed to just lower it one or two rungs to change the angle.

ETA: What I would do is either in your house, or outside on a deck or porch or something level, is practice setting it up and taking it down. Try all kinds of positions.... that way you know how it handles, know the weight of it, etc. before you take it into someone's house.

My 17 - I actually balance it on my shoulder when I'm carrying it in. Again, you need to be SUPER careful that you don't pivot or something and slam it into the wall, items, etc.

Years of practice. :D

Archived