Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Guest VaTinterPMan

OMG, my neighbor in the back had replaced his fence and whole roof/sliding....because of a Micro-burst that came through our hood back in July. A tree fell on his House. I told him to take the other two down....I was in the back yard and the biggest gust came....about 80mph....Lifted his NEW fence up about 4 feet and the tree stayed leaning at about a 70 degree angle over his deck and home...

WHAT A NOOB...Don't listen to someone that knows a little bit about trees and the Ground around here...Its not like I have lived here 26 years or anything....COME ON MAN!! like the monday night football thing....I would take a pic but it is pitch dark now....I did run over and let him know....Hope for the best with him but I think its coming down...No it is going too....

VA Be safe everyone...Watch out for the BIG A$$ Trees they will fall before the small ones...

Dang!

I was just thinking about this today, and went to a site about tree inspection. What to look for etc.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VaTinterPMan

OMG, my neighbor in the back had replaced his fence and whole roof/sliding....because of a Micro-burst that came through our hood back in July. A tree fell on his House. I told him to take the other two down....I was in the back yard and the biggest gust came....about 80mph....Lifted his NEW fence up about 4 feet and the tree stayed leaning at about a 70 degree angle over his deck and home...

WHAT A NOOB...Don't listen to someone that knows a little bit about trees and the Ground around here...Its not like I have lived here 26 years or anything....COME ON MAN!! like the monday night football thing....I would take a pic but it is pitch dark now....I did run over and let him know....Hope for the best with him but I think its coming down...No it is going too....

VA Be safe everyone...Watch out for the BIG A$$ Trees they will fall before the small ones...

Dang!

I was just thinking about this today, and went to a site about tree inspection. What to look for etc.

Tree size is sometimes key around houses and things...Than look for leaning trees @ more than a 80 degree angle. This means it needs less wind to help it fall. Root Zone next...If a tree is on a small hill or ditch and only has roots on one side of it this also makes it prone to being blown over....Next...Bees and Ants around the base of the tree or around the bottom. If these Pest are going into the tree this mean they are carving out long holes that makes the interior of the tree Hollow....Than the Last thing...Disease. This is one of the harder things to find on certain trees...You have to be pretty well trained to find it on some trees...Others it is pretty simple...Something to read up on if you are interested.

Hope I helped

Va

Guest VaTinterPMan

Wow that is a different cherry tree that I have only seen in text books....You live on the West Coast right?

Well what are you planning on doing with it?? Cherry trees are still a Hard Wood not one of the Hardest but pretty hard. They burn great and I have a good amount in my piles of wood that are split and seasoned. They have a great smell when cutting and splitting...

It has a lot of moss on it which isn;t great but not bad...Just means it is really old. A little bit of Disease in the last pic it looks like around the base...I never say for sure with a pic cause it could just be weathered differently but looks like disease...

But what are your plans do you want to keep keep it, Limb it up???

Guest VaTinterPMan

I defo want to keep it. :thumb

There is ivy and blackberry growing on it, once I get that cleaned up I'll take some better pics.

What do you mean by "limb it up"?

On every Golf Course trees are Cared For...And by that I mean pruning cutting off certain limbs that maybe be not as healthy or dead...Leaving limbs on the tree with no leaves is a invitation for bugs to start eating into the tree....They love the smell of dead wood....Its Strange...

Archived