Illegal tint

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know if it is a liability to the shop owner or to the driver?

even if it is not a "criminal" offense it will be a "civil" offense if someone gets in a wreck and their lawyer wants to come after the person that put on tint that was darker than the law allowed!

Guest VaTinterPMan

Here in VA it is a misdemeanor offense to apply any film/shading material to any glass daker than the legal limit BUT..

If a person kills someone or is convicted of any felony charge the person/business that applied the film can be found a fought also for the same the charge..It is strange and rare but could happen...Example if someone is the driver for a robbery and the person doing the robbery kills someone. the driver is also charged with the same thing even though he didn't pull the trigger..

Bot the best example in the world but Common Wealth States SUCK!! So here it is why take a chance getting in trouble...you don't know these people....And with the advancement of film, Ceramic's are blocking more heat in 50% and 40% and sometimes 80% than 5% film used too.. :twocents

even if it is not a "criminal" offense it will be a "civil" offense if someone gets in a wreck and their lawyer wants to come after the person that put on tint that was darker than the law allowed!

proving such offense is going to be next to impossible. im not saying its going to be hard to prove that illegal tint was applied by "X" shop but hard to prove that illegal tint caused a wreck.

Guest nordfink

so if someone gets pulled over for too dark tint and they say "so & so installed it", you get a letter from the court with a court date, I got one awhile back and I'm the only place in town but kid couldnt produce invoice or receipt proving I installed it, which I didnt...and I never had to appear...

proving such offense is going to be next to impossible. im not saying its going to be hard to prove that illegal tint was applied by "X" shop but hard to prove that illegal tint caused a wreck.

Sure. If there is a problem do the following:

Hire anonymous (hacker group) to hack the bank and credit card records

Hire anonymous to erase cell phone records

Water board all family members until they can no longer remember dropping the car off.

Hire a lobbyist to pass a bill in your state which outlaws DEPOSITIONS and THIRD PART DEFENDANT Cause of Actions.

Reduce damage awards in civil suits to one dollar.

And lastly, MAKE IT ILLEGAL for police to run undercover sting operations like they did on tint shops in Santa Maria Ca, and Bakersfield Ca.

There that should do it Tint away!

Guest Tints MVP

Im in Florida now so not quite an issue as 5% is legal on rear of MPV's. But originally from MA where they restrict it to 35% all around. Needless to say that restriction doesnt take into account the percentage of color in the glass. We covered ourselves by offering any shade the customers wanted but explained the laws first. I also had every customer sign his/her reciept/warranty of which I retained a copy. On that it clearly states that by signing the customer understands that if the shade is not legal it was by his/her choice. In my opinion this is the best way because it doesn't restrict the flow of business and covers us, as owners/installers, from absorbing any legal action.... When it comes to limo though I tell people no on front windows as I dont want to feel responsible when they wreck because they have eliminated use of ALL mirrors....

Archived