Illegal tint

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know if it is a liability to the shop owner or to the driver?

It depends on the states laws. In Utah its a misdemeanor to install tint illegally. (or even sell a vehicle with illegal tint) This is targeted at tint shops and auto dealers.

If you get caught with it on your car you get a fix it ticket. $50. if you get the illegal tint removed and passed off by a cop, you don't have to pay the ticket.

If you don't fix it you pay the ticket.

its great that you can afford to do that. some people arent as lucky to be able to have the option to say no.

This

Really? I would think some one (as your self) in the industry would have some standard.

its great that you can afford to do that. some people arent as lucky to be able to have the option to say no.

This

Really? I would think some one (as your self) in the industry would have some standard.

This

I have to agree...REALLY!!? Your obviously a smart enough person to come on here regularly and add good information. Why in the world can you not look a person in the eye an tell them "I'm sorry but that's not something I'm willing to do."! The almighty dollar right? I'd rather be known as a responsible person with integrity (a back bone) than be known for doing something wrong! I don't mean to attack any one person at all!! We all need to take a stand. Leave that kind of work to the bottom feeders!

Im truly ashamed to say I've done it. Ill admit it but if I have to work harder or give up some luxuries to be seen as a reputable business owner an a good person (even if only in my eyes an the eyes of my family) well.........so be it.

Dang guys, all I said was to agree that it must be nice to be able to not install illegal film. Without getting into the whole integrity, backbone stuff lets take a look at a bigger picture of different situations.

First off right from the start most of us are breaking federal laws when we tint any window. The reasons for some shops installing darker than legal can vary as much as the variance in our prices which we don't talk about here.

In one state the law says OK it is legal to install 20%. In the next state the law says you can only install 35%. Then in states like Oregon the law says we can only install 50%. Does this mean that people in one state can see better than people in other states................. no, it's just the law where you are.

This should be easy to understand for most of us but does it make it easier to explain this to the customer......... again no. Then we have shops that are the only place within miles that people can get their windows tinted and then in other areas like here there are shops a block away then 4 more within a couple miles slinging dark papers. Gus and Opis, remember I'm not assuming either one of the above situations apply to your businesses, I'm just trying to show the different situations we all find our self in and how it's easier for some of us to follow the law than others.... hence my "this" comment.

One law for all makes better sense and would put all of us on a level playing field. Could this is something IWFA would be working on?.... yes :twocents

Most of us also know some modern films are designed to have a high VLT and very high heat rejection... why do manufactures keep pushing privacy film if they are concerned about our following the law? :dunno I sold Vkool for several years and at the time film for auto and flat glass came off the same roll. In order to warranty our work we had to report roll numbers and even pay more for the film that ended up on auto's. Could that be done with modern hand held devices and simple software from your supplier?

These 3 questions are things we as a group should be discussing rather than calling each other names when some of the group is only doing what they have to do to keep food on their family's table. If you want to call it the almighty dollar, so be it!

What do I think about installing tint darker than legal? Privacy film should be removed from the market first of all! But then what would law enforcement do on their fleet? It's just bad that we in the industry all have to put up this type double standard. When I am helping a customer decide on a film as I have done uncountable 10's of thousands of times, the first question out of their mouth is "what do you recommend". I always tint my car legal and always recommend legal film to the customer. I always explain the law and explain what can happen if darker film is picked. Then I explain the law 2 more times so I know they understand what they are doing. Am I going to let them walk out and down the street to several shops they can get what they still want.. no! Will I install privacy film in any situation.. no! I try to sell them on the lightest VLT I can and strongly recommend legal film again, even it is just on the front doors. I realize a 40% or a 30% film is still not legal but at the end of the day I know I have did my best to comply and still pay the bills.

I have a waiver customers must fill out and sign for any install with darker than 50% film. Is it a worthless piece of paper that is a admission of guilt? Probably.... but if I do something I am not going to lie about it so as for guilt I readily admit it. As for worthless, sure it still does not take away responsibility but it seems to satisfy law enforcement in my area. They have been in my shop 2 times over the years to fine me but when they see I made the customer aware of the law and recommended tinting legal they have been satisfied. Customers never get a copy of the waiver and evidently forget they signed it because the first thing most customers tell the police when they get pulled over for dark film is they didn't know or the tinter said it was legal!

I do not endorse tinting illegal applications but realize we all have different circumstances and reasons for what we do.

Cheers :deadhorse

One law for all makes better sense and would put all of us on a level playing field. Could this is something IWFA would be working on?.... yes :twocents
The IWFA has worked very hard to keep laws different; if they didn't the auto glass makers and auto mannies would request the fed lower their VLT standard, which in turn would make it much more difficult to sell film. Example; how many vehicles with privacy glass get all windows done compared with only doing their fronts. Not to mention Pilkington already has a high UV screening and high heat rekjecting privacy glass; they'd love to sell their high performance glass to the auto industry, I don't believe they want to have several different VLT to offer in order to conform to every state law. Thus, our industry gets a bye for now.

Archived