Enerlogic films ??

Hey guys,

recently came across enerlogic films, wondered if anyone was using them ?

has anyone done any testing to backup the 43 odd percent insulation properties?

I have a lot of customers who might like this option, currently I use johnson films, is enerlogic jsut a low-e film similar to johnsons heatmaster? or is it something special ?

what adhesive do they use? dry or P/S ?

be happy to hear back any feedback !

cheers !

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mates,

Enerlogic films are manufactured by Solutia or (CPFilms) in the US. The sole distributor in Aus is MEP Films. The Enerlogic films are quite unique in the way that it can specifically target and reject radiating heat, and has the ability to lower the rate that heat can transfer through a glass unit. It is suitable for cold climate areas such as Western NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and basically any area that would benefit from retaining an internal heat source. If you need to meet the strict BASIX requirements to achieve a lower U-value to allow an architect or builder to pass their project through, then in many cases if a film is the only option, then Enerlogic is basically the only option.

It is marketed as a far cheaper alternative to double glazing, or as an alternative to a Low-e glass. But in comparison, it is still quite expensive, and the technology that has gone into producing these products is yet to be proven over a long term, in environments that have tested even the best products such as Australia. If the film proves that it can last as long as a professionally installed double glazing unit, or as long as a hard coat Low-E glass, then and only then should it be compared to those options in price over a long term period. A double glazed unit would normally last between 30 and 100 years depending on the up keep of the glazing unit. So will Enerlogic last 30 to 100 years? That can only be answered in 30 to 100 years time. My opinion is no it can not.

I recently had an install job which required the use of the Enerlogic film. So as you do, I contacted John from MEP Films. He began to tell me that they will only sell the film to ... quote " The people that have looked after MEP Films". I told John that I bought film only from Martin Energy Products between 1996 and 2003. It was only when I was out trying to sell a residential install job using an MEP product, that something happened that prompted me to go elsewhere for my films. The customer that I had quoted, called MEP directly and purchased the film themselves. The main issue that I had with this was that because they paid for the film in cash, they receive a larger discount than my business received after 6 years of loyal service. Dropping MEP Films as my supplier was the best business decision I have ever made.

In 2008, I lost my best car dealership to MotorOne who came in at a price that I had no way to compete with. The dealership was very happy with my work, but they just couldn't say no to the M1 deal. With my spare time I researched over many long hours just how they were able to offer such a low price for tinting dealership vehicles. It was then that I discovered that MEP Films and MotorOne are owned by the same company. WorldMark. And that company also owned such franchises as Tint-a-car, SoleAce, 6 star, High Performance Window Films, and the list went on and on.... So, here it is... By buying window film from MEP Films, I was almost directly supporting my opposition.

What I discovered was very alarming. This is the reason I developed the Independent Tinting Network. So that small independent tinting business' could have someone to turn to when they are bullied by the multi nationals. So can I please ask John from MEP to stop telling our existing trade customers that our films are from Korea? Because if you need to lie to stop what we have put so much work into developing, then maybe the enerlogic hasn't been the raging success that MEP Films had pinned all of their hopes on. It is about time that the people that have been burnt by M1 to step up and tell their stories without the fear of the lawyers stepping in.

Hopefully mates, if you ever want to buy Enerlogic, you have been looking after MEP films, or you just won't get a look in anyway.

Mick

Wow!

Enerlogic has been independently tested by the NFRC (a US based energy rating group) who work in conjunction with Lawrence Berkeley Labs and the US dept of energy.

In fact, it was found that Enerlogic performed slightly better than the maker had reported. It (Enerlogic 35 & 70) can save 10-15% on heating costs.

Hey guys.These days I really got to be careful about what I write so I will say this...please check out our 2 Low E films that are designed to keep heat in as we'll as keep it out. Solar Gard Silver AG 25 and 50 Low E films. The AG 25 has been around for 12 years now (AG 50 approx 4 yrs) and has been tried and proven by many tinters in the 'heating climates' of Australia, but most of all its the clients that have rung the very next day and say, wow! That stuff on the windows really works! All our claims are all third party tested and we can back everything up but I reckon the best thing to do is ring an installer who has used it and get their feedback...

If something sounds to good to be true, it usually is!

Carlo - Solar Gard Window Films

Yes Carlo, they (other lowE film products) do perform in the .35 emissivity range reflecting radiant heat to the tune of about 65%; however, Enerlogic films have emissivity levels at .07, reflecting radiant heat to the tune of 93%; placing it about 50% more effective against the nearest comeptitive lowE film product.

The higher VLT of the 35 is also indicative of Enerlogics performance toward radiant heat found outside a dwelling to where TSER is in the neighborhood of darker appearing film products.

Sadly, not every film dealer has access to this Enerlogic product so other lowE films will suffice for those seeking this type solar and heat protection.

The product does have great performance figures but a few things should be noted;

MEP's promotion of the film being xyz% better than double glazing is based on a "standard" DGU, the performance data for which is well below those of actual real tested units.

That means quite an exaggerated comparison.

The beauty of this film for competitors is

a. Expensive

b. Must be trained and accredited to buy it.

c. Takes a little longer to fit.

d. Reportedly, you have to issue a certificate with photo I.D. to authenticate and send a copy of such to MEP Melbourne.

You also then have to listen to George telling you you probably fitted it wrong :lol

In short, the whole process is a pain and they won't be shifting mountains of the stuff.

The Qld rep, recently tried pushing it in FNQ. The tinter looked at him after listening to the spiel of the amazing savings on heating costs then reminded him he was in Cairns. :lol2

Imagine that, a film to keep you warm in Cairns. "But mate, we're in Cairns".

Aussie, The Enerlogic line of films is a industry best in class product. The numbers are NFRC certified and when used in the situation the film was designed for, it is simply unbeatable, by any other film on the market. Given the ROI, the material is a bargain. Understandablly the mfr does not want to let their crown jewel to be in the hands of untrained personel who are not properly qualified to install or represent the product.

Aussie, The Enerlogic line of films is a industry best in class product. The numbers are NFRC certified and when used in the situation the film was designed for, it is simply unbeatable, by any other film on the market. Given the ROI, the material is a bargain. Understandablly the mfr does not want to let their crown jewel to be in the hands of untrained personel who are not properly qualified to install or represent the product.

Not disputing any of that Tom. :thumb However the way it is promoted here is a little misleading. (the performance data is outstanding enough, but they like to exaggerate it further).

Outside of Melbourne and Tasmania it will struggle in our market and the "accreditation" process will make it too much hassle for most businesses to bother with.

Also, as to the post above about colour; if it is murky green, either someone is colour blind or another product was presented or installed.

Enerlogic 35 appears semi-mirror from an exterior viewpoint and earthtone (or very light yellow-brown) from interior vewing out.

Enerlogic 70 has a an extremely pale yellow look while viewing out and an extremely light black-blue appearance looking at it from the outside (and you have to look real hard to see this film).

These are daytime; as for nightime internal surface appearance the 35 has a blue-ish look and the 70 has a very mild yellow tone to it (yellow because of its sputtered gold).

The components used are not foreign to the industry; it's the sputtering process they endure that adds to the uniqueness of these products, which of course produces the performance values, too.

Can you tell I've drank their koolaid? :lol:thumb

Archived