Police state hates tinted windows

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funny thing about these tint laws, I got 2 cruisers to install 20% on the back for the K9 cages 3 weeks ago. One of them pull me up LOL to my demise it was one of those cruisers I had done the job LOL as I remember the unit #.

I told the office the story, he smiled and said - my partner loves the back of that car. but still gave me a ticket $89 for the visor being too low. LOL I took it on the chin and went on.

The whole not knowing who/what is in the vehicle is BS. Most SUVs and trucks are quite dark on the rear from factory. Officers approach from behind, so that's a non issue.

What SHOULD be illegal is not following a set of rules when pulled over. It should be a small fine if you do not roll down your window, turn on the interior lights and keep your hands visible. For a similar example, you can now be fined here if you do not move into a left lane if there's a pulled over emergency vehicle and it's safe for you to do so. Same principle. It's for everyone's real world safety.

Well I will throw my :twocents in on this. I have been an officer for 11 years and I have trained the new officers for 6 of those years. People asked me all the time how I am a cop and like window tint. I teach the rookies how to approach the vehicle safely with or without tint on it. There is a proper way and a lazy way and I am a stickler on the proper way. I make traffic stops daily and when I approach a car, such as an SUV or sedan that is tinted, I have them roll the rear windows down first and check for passengers in the rear. IF there are passengers I do not pass the C pillar of a vehicle to open myself up for possibilities of something happen to me. I do this job daily with the idea that something could happen no matter what. I am not for darker windows or breaking the law BUT it is what it is and it will happen. I tell my people all the time that get into this discussion with me.....I have never arrested a person that said "Man, I was going to shoot you today but I forgot to get my windows tinted". If they want to do harm to the police they will do it windows tinted or not. Its all about being smart and safe when making traffic stops.

Sorry for the rant. :blah Now back to your regular programming :crazy

Guest Cruze12

This is true that the State Police hate tinted windows. This is also true of any police officer. Personally I have a doctors note for my tinted windows and all my windows are blacked out. Limo tint all around and 20% on the windshield, I do get stopped by never tickets. They just don't like that they can't see you and it can also be scary for them and their safety if they walk up on a car that they can't see inside because for all they know the car could be packed with harmful items such as weapons. If you tint your car and get pulled over, simply make sure to roll down every window possible and make sure you don't drink and drive or have anything illegal in the car as well because you WILL be getting pulled over!

If it were that dangerous for Leo, all tint would be outlawed. In Florida, the legal limit for an mpv is 6% on the rears. Tint laws generate revenue for the state and offer them the opportunity to stop you whenever they want.

On that note, I would respect an industry wide self-imposed limit, because I do know that dark film can cause decreased night time visibility. There would still be the Craigslist tinters that would do darker stuff, but they do it now anyways.

I like that suggestion to roll down all windows if pulled over... I currently only have a pickup but will def. keep that in mind for the future.

Someone who wants to do something is going to do it regardless.... I agree with that... But from a cop's POV I'd think lowering all windows would be helpful.

I got pulled over one night around 11pm in the county I live in by a state trooper for speeding. when the troop pulled me over, I rolled down my drivers side window but failed to roll down other windows and turned the dome light on. I was watching the troop through drivers side mirror and could tell he was spooked a bit as he approached my vehicle. he stopped at back door of my truck and poked his head around to see in the front. he then reconized me because I work in emergency services and he seen me on scene a few times. the troop called me back to the car and gave me a written warning for the speed and a verbal for no seat belt. never mentioned the dark tint.

lesson learned? from that point on, anytime I get pulled over at night, I rolled down all 4 door windows on my truck and turn on my interior light as curtiousy to the officers and troopers I work with on occassions.

Archived