All stainless steel is is iron oxide coated with chromium prevent corrosion. They're supposed to have thirteen to twenty six percent chromium by weight to prevent corrosion so if they're cutting down on that treatment we might be getting a little bit of microscopic rust build upon the tip. Furthermore when you do snapping and of a bladed does expose the iron oxide inside of it. Prolonged exposure to humid and in wet conditions will cause the tip to rust.2 cents

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had customers say over the years that the quality of the Olfa's has deteriorated. What used to be being able to get 2-3 cars out of one blade is now at best one blade per car, maybe two blades. It is more than likely just like everything else. In order to stay competitive price wise, they have cheapened the quality of the blade in order to still maintain profitability. 

I think Patric posted a thread or blog about Olfa blades going down in quality due to a cheaper raw product being used in manufacturing.

Don't quote me one this cause I can get mixed up :beer

Patric?

I know they are not as good as even a few years ago IMO

Cheers

I am actually looking into this further. I just spoke to the North American rep for Olfa and he again told me that they have not changed anything in their process for many years. That being said, I hear from many people that the quality has gone down. The blades go dull faster than they did in the past. Some are telling me that they are having to snap off the blade way more often just to keep a sharp edge.

Regarding the scratching the glass, I think there are two things at play here. The blades are getting dull faster so the installer is having to apply more pressure to the blade to achieve the cut on anything but a brand new blade edge. That coupled with automotive glass getting softer in recent years is causing the sctaching (Actually cutting the glass) that some have experienced. This is just my opinion after talking to many people and trying to get to the bottom of this.

I am in talks with a large blade manufacturer that might be a better option and worth a try if you have been unhappy with Olfa recently. I am working out the final details, but I will hopefully know something by SEMA.

glad I decided to buy a large amount a few years back... haven't given me any problems... but maybe that only comes from the newer blades.

It does seem to be a more recent problem, but per my post above, Olfa claims that no changes have been made. :dunno

Thanks for sharing your insight PJF!

No problem. I hope we can come up with some viable options as this definately seems to be an issue that is being experienced by installers all over the world from the feedback I am getting.

No problem. I hope we can come up with some viable options as this definately seems to be an issue that is being experienced by installers all over the world from the feedback I am getting.

Yes, I noticed on your FaceBook that you are getting the same kind of feedback that we have been hearing from our retailers throughout the US for several years now. I realize that Olfa claims that there has been no change in the product but I find it very difficult to believe considering my feedback is coming directly from the tinters that are using the product and have been for years!

glad I decided to buy a large amount a few years back... haven't given me any problems... but maybe that only comes from the newer blades.

Same here. I still have about 6 boxes left. All have oiled paper in them already too. :thumb

Would you sell me some some of the old blades so that maybe I can do some testing against the new ones? Also Shady, sending you a message offline. :thumb

Yeah Olfa seems to pull a deaf ear on the issue much the same as the maker of Poly 2 sprayers did in the early days of their redesign. They will see a max exodus very soon if they don't do something about their edge quality. They'll lose an industry that feeds them because NT blades have come back from poor performing to give big O a run for their money. It's only a matter of time.

Archived