Whilst something seems to have changed when Olfa went from Blue label to White.. It is as much the glass to blame. I scratched a rear quarter glass on 1 side of the vehicle and not on the other.. The reason.. The glass that was scratched was an after market replacement.

If you ask Olfa why does Olfa scratch glass? They will say OMG! Don't cut on glass. They sell tonnes of these blades to tinters knowing we will use them on glass. Kind of like a supplier sell darker than legal tints..

They know its happening.. They just don't want to know about it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^ agreed. But do they really expect us to out buttons under every piece of film on a rear screen because we shouldn't cut on glass? As said previously its only gonna take someone to set up a stall at a conference with good quality and I don't know about the rest but I'd spend the extra few bucks a box. I already do buying olfa instead of kds and I haven't even used kds before I just got taught on "olfa is the standard for tinters" thing. Love to have confidence in my blade again. Of course glass is shite now but if I use a BRAND NEW blade I shouldn't have to worry about cutting through glass

Guest thatsnappyguy

Evidently. :)

I have probably 60% of the pack left... 

Will they increase in value like a good wine????

Save them on the side to send to the lab and have it proved that the new blades are different. .....Pat got the connects to make that happen im sure. 

Whilst something seems to have changed when Olfa went from Blue label to White..

Well... that unfortunately gives everyone the room to pass the buck to someone else... It's not us - it's them....

I guess the proof would be two things... First, if the blades actually are being made differently (blue vs white) and second, if another company makes a blade that remains sharp and does not cut the glass. :shrugs

Why do people use Olfa? I bought a very nice slim knife with snap-able blades at a local tool shop... Stainless blade replacements are only $1.97 for a pack of 5 and each blade snaps off several times...

Not being stupid, I'm just asking seriously, is there a reason people use Olfa?

I would not be excited about paying $19.97 for a 50 pack of blades.... 

I use the KDS standard hone blades and like them much better than the Olfa's.   I also use a piece of white packing strap material under the blade when cutting most times to keep the blade off of the glass....keeps the edge better for much longer and NO chance of scratching the glass....

How do you cut out the back window piece like that? Or any window for that matter I guess...

Not sure the confusion.... I use a 1/2 inch piece of white strapping that is cut at about 30 degrees on both ends and put it under the film.  Place knife blade above the plastic and press the blade down then cut... feels a bit different that just a blade on glass but it will NOT let the blade touch the glass.... Just cut up one film order worth of straps and you will have pieces to lose for a few months...if you lose them.

Why do people use Olfa? I bought a very nice slim knife with snap-able blades at a local tool shop... Stainless blade replacements are only $1.97 for a pack of 5 and each blade snaps off several times...

I use the KDS standard hone blades and like them much better than the Olfa's. I also use a piece of white packing strap material under the blade when cutting most times to keep the blade off of the glass....keeps the edge better for much longer and NO chance of scratching the glass....

How do you cut out the back window piece like that? Or any window for that matter I guess...

^^^^ agreed. But do they really expect us to out buttons under every piece of film on a rear screen because we shouldn't cut on glass? As said previously its only gonna take someone to set up a stall at a conference with good quality and I don't know about the rest but I'd spend the extra few bucks a box. I already do buying olfa instead of kds and I haven't even used kds before I just got taught on "olfa is the standard for tinters" thing. Love to have confidence in my blade again. Of course glass is shite now but if I use a BRAND NEW blade I shouldn't have to worry about cutting through glass

I use the KDS standard hone blades and like them much better than the Olfa's. I also use a piece of white packing strap material under the blade when cutting most times to keep the blade off of the glass....keeps the edge better for much longer and NO chance of scratching the glass....

Not sure the confusion.... I use a 1/2 inch piece of white strapping that is cut at about 30 degrees on both ends and put it under the film. Place knife blade above the plastic and press the blade down then cut... feels a bit different that just a blade on glass but it will NOT let the blade touch the glass.... Just cut up one film order worth of straps and you will have pieces to lose for a few months...if you lose them.
McCoyH

Some people use a small button, some like Ryker a white piece of strapping material or me a small piece of plastic razor blade.

What all are doing when you place the, between glass and film is keeping the point of your knife off the glass when you make the cut. Also comes in handy as a cutting guide!

I usually snap my blade after sticking it in the plastic blade and making my cut.

Cheers

Living Learning Listening

Archived