Inexperienced shop owners ruining the trade

Just because you are the owner, doesn't mean you know what you are doing. I have n doing this since I was 17 full time since 2004 and I after coming back from Iraq. I'm 30 yrs old so technically in this case I would know more than he does. Call it what you want, but there are to many of us good hard working tinters being screwed by some penny hungry business owner who hasn't a clue about the business. I can tint any car that comes in those doors, I don't mind tinting. What I don't like is the dishonesty, and the taking advantage of the trade by business owners who don't care to learn about it.

I've been there, so maybe that's why it can be recognized so easily. Frustration at work isn't fun but something here stands out to me. 

Maybe... but the bottom line is that if the owner of any shop doesn't actually know how to do the work... outside of very general - you do this and that - then how on earth can he/she schedule jobs??? He would have no idea how long it should take to perform the required work, or the possible snags that could come up and cause delays. 

Whereas the guy who is actually doing the work, be it tinting, remote starts, etc. would have a much better idea how to schedule jobs. 

My old boss would tell customers it wouldn't be any problem to do this job or that... and then tell us to just 'get it done' without any clue if it was even technically possible.  Loved showing up in the morning to see what we'd have to deal with each day................

That is exactly what is going on, there are appointments that are not written in the book. Most of the time if it's in the book, we don't know what it is because there's only a custo name with a price, no year make model. We close at 5:00, but there is always a ghost appointment at 4:30. Any walk in customer gets placed in front of the line over appointments.

:ditto  :lol6  :lol6  :lol6

It's funny.. when I was let go at one place I used to work many moons ago, the office manager was concerned with what I would do moving forward. I simply told her that I was fine before I got that job, I would be fine after.

I realize that's pretty simplistic in the world we live in today, but it still kindof holds. As long as someone is willing to not wait around for things to be handed to them, odds are, they would be ok - perhaps not great - but ok - if they decided to quit their job. 

Of course if you're living high off the hog and need to make a boat load of money then perhaps not.... but there are other problems  at play in that situation. 

Life is too short to be miserable 1/3rd of your day..... 

Yeah, I had similar gripes with an employer to the ones the OP is mentioning. I would get a little bent out of shape over it at times but knew I was better on my own. I felt I knew more than the owner so I was ready to prove it (to myself) and made the jump. Rather than hold him, the owner of the company, to my standard, I held myself to it. :thumb

Just because you are the owner, doesn't mean you know what you are doing. I have n doing this since I was 17 full time since 2004 and I after coming back from Iraq. I'm 30 yrs old so technically in this case I would know more than he does. Call it what you want, but there are to many of us good hard working tinters being screwed by some penny hungry business owner who hasn't a clue about the business. I can tint any car that comes in those doors, I don't mind tinting. What I don't like is the dishonesty, and the taking advantage of the trade by business owners who don't care to learn about it.

I've been there, so maybe that's why it can be recognized so easily. Frustration at work isn't fun but something here stands out to me.

Yes! Don't listen to them because I actually do understand..... Key point is "SHOP IWNERS WHO DON'T TINT!" IMO these are people who maybe got their car tinted and think they can make a few bucks out of the industry...... My next guess is he charges cheap and undercuts his competition..... Ryker was right too..... I used to pump 10 cars a day for this guy every day, same booking strategy too, fit in as many as u can in a day..... Used to say something but as ryker said, he's got the excuse of "you do it every other day....."

Couple things I learned from this..... You can ALWAYS ask for more money... More importantly, don't stick in a bad environment too long...... I'm a good quality focused clean tinter who is also solo n doin okay..... After being with this chop shop for a while, I left and my quality focused attitude needed to be re taught to me cos I lost it with the do it as fast as u can mentality. If your not happy leave, seriously. These people are the ones killing the industry and if your a good tinter your just helping him do that..... End of the day, he thinks he's better than u, or any tinter so fuck him.

Archived