Auto tinting vs flat glass

I've tinted 10s of thousands of cars and I absolutely love it , I've also tinted several buildings and houses BUT it just bores me to death , the money is great but I just don't feel like its much of a challenge anyone feel the same ?

I feel completely the opposite. I never was one to stay in a shop all day. Flat glass is always different. I tried doing cars years ago, but was so bored, and hated getting into the back of tiny cars. I couldn't wait to get out there with the flat glass guys. Just because you are good at cars, does not mean you would be any good at flat glass. It would be like me attempting a car after all these years.

I can turn any good auto tinter into a great FG installer. .. It does not usually work the other way around.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've tinted 10s of thousands of cars and I absolutely love it , I've also tinted several buildings and houses BUT it just bores me to death , the money is great but I just don't feel like its much of a challenge anyone feel the same ?

I feel completely the opposite. I never was one to stay in a shop all day. Flat glass is always different. I tried doing cars years ago, but was so bored, and hated getting into the back of tiny cars. I couldn't wait to get out there with the flat glass guys. Just because you are good at cars, does not mean you would be any good at flat glass. It would be like me attempting a car after all these years.
I can turn any good auto tinter into a great FG installer. .. It does not usually work the other way around.
because there's no challenge in flat glass my point exactly why would a fg installer want to tint cars there is a lot more room for error and it is way more difficult,

I think you need to be able to do good work in both sides of tinting before your a "tinter" even though I'm absolutely nowhere near the "expert" in either side,

I would hate for someone to ask me "can you tint my car" and my explanation is

"Sorry, I only tint glass that is flat"

Still, like I said. I can do great work either type, I will never be the know it all for any of them. ESPESCIALLY flat glass. Maybe I'm still young at flat glass too, but honestly every week I seem to find myself saying "wow, I had no idea window film had this capability" or "that looks amazing, I cant wait to call people and show them what we can do....."

Right on , I don't hate doing FG , i love my job and have a strong passion for it , I was just wondering if others hear felt one way or the other about FG vs auto , maybe it was just this last job I did , it was A LOT of cleaning and had me held hostage on a Saturday 15 straight hours ,

Talk to anyone who does a lot , and I mean a lot, of either genres and I think they will say that both get boring.

I slip into automatic mode when I'm doing a lot of either. You are still concentrating but your mind has wandered and suddenly you have finished the job and can't remember half of it.

Or is this just me.lol.

Times like this I get most of my planning done for the week and solve most of the worlds problems.

A good mix of both keeps you on your toes IMO.

The difficulty is relative to the job. I could tint Jettas all day long and make good on it. If I have to work in a medical plaza with all the cabinets , break metal for walls , tight quarters , then you have to balance it out. You might spend 20 mins. trying to "slide " a piece of film between two unremovable desks and squeegeing it out with bulldozers ,hard cards and whatever, but the challenge is still the same. Both auto's and commercial have their own challenges. True you won't have to heat shrink comm/res. but there are challenges just the same , How about tinting a 5M $ home with silk drapries that are permanantley attached without "staining" them with whatever solution you are using? Working on a home with venetian plaster on ALL the walls and trying to determine the safest way to tint the windows? There are challenges in all aspects of window tinting no matter the medium , auto , comm. resid. 

Tint on my Bros. :D

Talk to anyone who does a lot , and I mean a lot, of either genres and I think they will say that both get boring.

I slip into automatic mode when I'm doing a lot of either. You are still concentrating but your mind has wandered and suddenly you have finished the job and can't remember half of it.

Or is this just me.lol.

Times like this I get most of my planning done for the week and solve most of the worlds problems.

A good mix of both keeps you on your toes IMO.

???????? that's another way to look at it , that's exactly why I posted this, just looking for a different perspective !

Archived