Some questions on shrink methods

Ive been doing H anchor and drier sheets since the dawn of time. Time for a more modern technique... im typing this with my phone so bare with me! :)

I have some questions:

When using lift and pull...

1) what kind of anchor?

2) wet? Dry? Drier sheet? Soap?

When people say soap method or ivory soap, do they mean soap powder? Or is that something different?

Can someone link me to the soap / powder etc method tutorial?

Really looking to speed installs up and not have issues with harder BG any more...

Any help anyone can contribute would be awesome!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start the ball rolling for you McCoy and let others add on also.

Powder = talcum powder or similar, an alternative to soap or dryer sheets to let the film float on the glass. Just pour some powder in your cupped hand and blow it across the glass. Anchor your film and dry shrink as usual.

Soap = just put a bar of soap ( some swear by ivory soap) in a sock, wet it and rub over the glass. Let it dry then anchor and shrink as usual. You can just use slip solution or detergent instead of the bar of soap and just mist it onto the glass, let it dry and shrink.

Lift and pull...I just use a horizontal anchor to pull against. Leave the film long top and bottom and just pull and stretch it whilst heating. Pause every so often to hard card and keep going with it. Like anything, it takes some practice.

There is also hot bubble shrinking or The Ryk Shrink , that you should look at too.

Have fun. As Stan says, it's only film.

Ive been doing H anchor and drier sheets since the dawn of time. Time for a more modern technique... im typing this with my phone so bare with me! :)

I have some questions:

When using lift and pull...

1) what kind of anchor?

2) wet? Dry? Drier sheet? Soap?

When people say soap method or ivory soap, do they mean soap powder? Or is that something different?

Can someone link me to the soap / powder etc method tutorial?

Really looking to speed installs up and not have issues with harder back glass any more...

Any help anyone can contribute would be awesome!

Here's a link to the lift and pull method: http://www.tintdude.net/lift-pull-method/index.html

Here's a link to the soap method: http://www.tintdude.net/soapshrinkmethod.html

I would suggest skipping the powder. It is a very old and messy way of doing it.  If you look at my video, link in my signature, you will see that I just use a "soapy" sprayer to give a nice light coating.  It is very similar to the dry sheet wiped back window.  I went from dryer sheets to doing this way. 

My "heavy soap" sprayer is about 2 table spoons of film-on in a small, maybe 6 oz, sprayer....light mist the window and wipe it lightly.  If you want a bit more soap then wipe with your hand not a towel...let it dry and you have a nice film on the glass.

Guest Tinta865

I use to use mr sheen . But it's not that same anymore so any furniture spray simalier .

Spray screen wipe all over even (wet) shrink or buff off film will float (dry) shrink I card the sides vertically ... To much spray it can over heat . Cut out pick up top an bottom corner of tint lift up .... Note If dry float shrinking watch for the static zap ... New to page . But that's how I was taught an still do wet shrink . I try load a vid next week of my method ...

Archived