Installing two layers

I recently stripped a small window that had white matte film installed. The customer had it installed to reduce the glare on the tv. He still had a piece of cardboard that he put up there throughout the day to keep the heat down. I installed delta dual reflective 25%. He calls me up today and says that the sun is to bright in the room now. He was wondering if I could put the white matte back on top of the film that I already installed? I suggested to just go to delta dual reflective 10 or possibly 5 %. He is kind hung up on the matte on top though. Would there be anything wrong with doing this? Thanks for the help.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I was thinking. I told him there would probably be no warranty with it. I just didn't want to run into any breakage issues. Also I suggested the darker film so he could still see out. He said he didn't really care if he could or not.

I spoke with the film rep today at ewf. He Was very helpful and basically said the same just not warranty it. He also suggested white out or the delta 5. I also forgot to mention that the glass is under a porch and gets partial sun in the afternoon. I spoke with the customer this afternoon and he's still hung on the white matte on top. I guess this one is going to have to fall under the customer is always right. At least it will get me out of warranting the film.

Mate, it's only a small job, if he wants it, tell him about the risks make sure he understands get him to sign a waiver and just do it? Worse thing could happen is he has an issue and sees that our job isn't just about putting up a black piece of plastic

Absolutely pointless install.  I run into this scenario all the time.  Glare on my tv.....

You can reduce it with the darkest film, but the customer still says there is a problem.  Film cannot solve every problem.  There are far better solutions.  Try roller shades.  You can do a 3% shade, or a blackout shade to solve glare issues on a tv and still have the benefit of rolling the shade up for plenty of light when desired.  

Trust me I've already explained the risk to him and he's all but signed a waiver on the install. I'll probably throw the matte up there this weekend and be done with it.Thanks for the help guys.

Archived