How much to start my own shop?

Guest YOUNG TINTER

Guest YOUNG TINTER

I am very young only 19 years old been tinting for a year now and would be wanting to start my own shop one day or another.. wondering how much money would it take??? just a guess?

I'd guess under a million.

Too many unknows... how much rent is in your area, what line of film you would want to use, marketing expenses to get your name out there, insurance costs, tools, etc. 

That being said... If this is something you want to do, I would strongly suggest you plan wisely and make it happen. You're young... start now and you'll be ahead of the game in no time.

"Some day" never comes.... do it!    :thumb

50-100k depending on your situation would be minimum....   Keep in mind if you open a retail location you may not collect a check for a while as there are LOTS of unforseen expenses, licenses, permits, signs, taxes, store fixtures, tools, inventory, etc....    Its not impossible obviously... just be sure to have a reserve over and above what you think you will need... 

Start out mobile to build a solid customer base and test the waters.. Especially if you are in Arizona

This is exactly how I started. It was something I just wanted to do for fun once in a while. Then i moved to mobile now I have my own shop looking for my first employee....it's been tough at times and a blur but allot of fun.

like was said,  too many unknowns.  If you are thinking tools and film then that is not much in the long run.  But, if you are setting up a shop in just any old building with a garage bay then think a couple hundred for each light fixture with lights.  A single car space will take 3 or 4 of those lights alone.  Then you have glass peel boards, if you use them.  Tool boxes, every tool you would ever need to take a car interior apart, water filters, utility sinks, refrigerator, microwave, stove, tables, chairs, TV, couch and seats and endtables for waiting areas.  Customer counter, computer(s), display boards and literature,

Then you have deposits for the building rent, the utilities, sales taxes, insurance, workmans comp....signage for the outside of the building, and of course advertising

All of those are factors!

Rent is number # 1... find something that works for you in a good location and with low rent.  Something that does not have CAMS.  Ask your landlord if CAMS are included.  Trash pick up is another... all the bays I have found here do include power on the rent, but they are all BUILT-TO-SUIT. So lights, boards, signs all of that is overhead you must have a back up to cover it. 

Plus, just think on offering a good film line, Ceramic is a plus to up-sell.

Whatever the upfront cost might wind up being there is always the build business time frame that needs be accounted for. I think its been said already.

My start up was small in $$ and sense but after a couple of months I knew there would a need for a second income source. Found and worked a part time job in the evenings (5:30 - 9PM) until word of mouth began outpacing returns on advertising expenditures (about 2 years).

Good luck. By the way, from what could be seen in your pics from a different thread, nice job on that truck.

I set up by renting a garage on a per job basis, I paid a percentage of every job, worked well, the tint tools were next to nothing and a peel board was a free double glazed scrap window,

Sure it was a slow start, but it paid off,

I think my start up costs were about 3k

I would deffo not start mobile, not unless you are already experienced, went through some hard times waiting for the phone to ring! But I stuck with it, I love my job, ....... Do it!

Archived