Fact or Fiction---sunroofs should not be tinted??

I'm not sure about all that. I had a customer years back wanting me to tint his sunroof and the glass was laminated. I told him I wouldn't do it because of the high risk of it cracking.

What about laminated door glasses that we are seeing more and more of? Or a visor strip on the windshield? Not saying it could never happen but I would think if this was an issue with all laminated glass then it would affect windshields and door glasses as well.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laminated door glass and windshields don't always absorb the same amount of heat from direct sunlight like a sunroof on top of a car during mid-day. So far I have yet to have any issues with visor strips or laminated door glass and if I did, windshields and roll up windows are a lot less expensive than replacing an entire sun-roof assembly because sometimes you can not just change out the glass. 

Why not, except I'd use a reflective because most sunroofs already absorb enough SE. I wouldn't advise doing a panoramic on a S coupe mercedes. Mucho denaro!

I have LLumar RN07 on my sunroof from the days they made it with PS adhesive. Feel no sun coming through and imagine that it has no IR, I mean ceramic, component. It even seems to be effective against those magical wavelengths that supposedly cause the nerve ending to freak out, it's hot, it's hot.

Why not, except I'd use a reflective because most sunroofs already absorb enough SE. I wouldn't advise doing a panoramic on a S coupe mercedes. Mucho denaro!

I have LLumar RN07 on my sunroof from the days they made it with PS adhesive. Feel no sun coming through and imagine that it has no IR, I mean ceramic, component. It even seems to be effective against those magical wavelengths that supposedly cause the nerve ending to freak out, it's hot, it's hot.

:lol2 Magical wavelengths! Let's see how the 3M Prestige/Crystalline fans run with this one!

:lol2 Magical wavelengths! Let's see how the 3M Prestige/Crystalline fans run with this one!
Couldn't care less... [emoji106]

I've seen many windshields crack after having an eyebrow installed.

This has been debated before, in my opinion I don't think a windshield will ever crack from this. I've replaced well over 1000 windshields and never once has one of them been cracked due to this. Not to mention the many visors I've also installed that have never come back due to a crack.

As I've said on another thread I'm sure there was a minor chip in the glass or perhaps under the molding that wasn't seen and once the glass cracked it was blamed on the tint.

Archived