Sputtered film technology.

Years ago this advent to the film industry was to be the best thing since sliced bread but my experience with it by some film manufacturers leaves a lot to be desired.

This goes for auto and flat glass installations where it has definitely failed.

What do others think? :film

Devil

I really never saw it as such a big deal Dev.

Just another coating method to me, it was just sold as a better manufacturing process by the Llumar rep of the time. :dunno

It did extend the drying times somewhat but other than that...big deal really.

Years ago this advent to the film industry was to be the best thing since sliced bread but my experience with it by some film manufacturers leaves a lot to be desired.

This goes for auto and flat glass installations where it has definitely failed.

What do others think? :film

Devil

What issues did you see other then slower drying time as Rocky has mentioned................. ?

Given the other technology at the time, sputtering was the best available option. It is still a very stable process today and the ones who do it right, have a product that should hold up quite well.

Years ago this advent to the film industry was to be the best thing since sliced bread

Hello Dev,

Actually, that was an understatement.  If not for sputtering, our industry would still be locked in to 1970's era vapor deposition.  The two critical improvements brought about by this method are as follows:

• It has expanded the range of metals and materials that can be incorporated into film.  You cannot vapor deposit Nickel, Chromium, Copper or many of the Ceramic Nanomaterials which are found in the most advanced products.  Vapor deposition is mostly limited to aluminum

• The precision which sputtering allows is unparalleled.  Materials can be deposited onto the target substrate in layers which are just one atom thick at a time.  Vapor deposition does not allow for anywhere near that kind of precision, which can lead to banding.

Only those who are satisfied with just Silver Reflective films and traditional dyed/metal hybrids can do without sputtering.  But if you are looking to build advanced, spectrally selective films (with high luminous efficacy), you cannot achieve this without the very precise deposition that sputtering affords.

There are other benefits - perhaps Smart & Rob will weigh in here soon.

-Howard

Install a good Vapor Deposition film on glass next to a good Sputtered Film and then ask yourself; "Which has better optics?" I bet the Sputtered product will win every time. :twocents The reason is as Howard mentioned. It is the precision layering of material. Sputtering allows for the nano-materials and specialty metals to be layered not just in 1 atom thick layers but also in various directions. This is how they lower the reflectivity of metalized films without the use of dyed layers. 

If your sputtered film is failing, it may well be a component issue. The sputtered layer is one of many different layers (base PET, liner, adhesive, SR coat, laminate layer, color layer, etc) and when done properly with durable metals or ceramics it can be the most solid layer in the film. Multi-layered sputtered films are incredibly complex as compared to traditional silver or dye/metal vapor deposition films. This makes the manufacturing side a challenge but there are some good companies out there that can produce quality sputtered films. However, you are only as good as the quality of your components and the quality of your manufacturing process.

Personally, considering optics, component options, performance longevity and durability... I prefer sputtered over the other film technologies available. We sell both sputtered films and vapor deposition plus a few others because our customers have different needs.   

If your sputtered film is failing, it may well be a component issue. The sputtered layer is one of many different layers (base PET, liner, adhesive, SR coat, laminate layer, color layer, etc) and when done properly with durable metals or ceramics it can be the most solid layer in the film.

Hi Rob,

I could not agree more.  The sputtered layer will likely be the only component in the entire construction that is literally "perfect".

Remember that this is the technology that the semiconductor industry relies upon.  All it takes is one single atom on a silicone wafer to be out of alignment and your iPhone will not boot up.

Well said Rob.  Are you coming to SEMA?  A cold frosty one one me! :beer

-Howard

Understand guys but high energy ions bombarded into targeted materials picking off and atom at a time still doesn't give you longevity.

I've seen lots of VK and old DTI film in a bad state of affairs.

Devil

VK only has about 3 sputtered (Vk40,70,75) products that I know of, maybe 4? The rest are not sputtered.

DTI... well if you been around as long as I think you have then you already know that the problem was more than just the film. :twocents

The color layer that filters visible light energy is often a weak point were total performance is lost over time. If you get that out of the equation then you have the basis for a strnger product. I know that our sputtered ceramic and sputtered rare metal films have proven to hold SHGC/TSER a lot longer than some vapor deposition DR's that lose their VLT over time... 

If your sputtered film is failing, it may well be a component issue. The sputtered layer is one of many different layers (base PET, liner, adhesive, SR coat, laminate layer, color layer, etc) and when done properly with durable metals or ceramics it can be the most solid layer in the film.

Hi Rob,

I could not agree more.  The sputtered layer will likely be the only component in the entire construction that is literally "perfect".

Remember that this is the technology that the semiconductor industry relies upon.  All it takes is one single atom on a silicone wafer to be out of alignment and your iPhone will not boot up.

Well said Rob.  Are you coming to SEMA?  A cold frosty one one me! :beer

-Howard

:thumb Planning on it Howard. I'll stop by for sure :beer

Am thinking ceramics pretty much kicks ass on sputtered metals.

Some ceramics can be more durable, especially in the non-corrosion department. Our sputtered metal film called Drei still crushes the ceramic equivalent in TSER but the ceramic has better corrosion resistance. It's a give take...

Archived