Backglass with Dot-matrix,,,how do you sell it??

On these cars that have a lot of matrix at the top of the backglass.  Like the Altima coupe and the 99-03 Mustangs even Corvettes.  How do you sell these tint jobs??  Do you try to explain the matrix problem before hand and offer two different prices,(with or without vinyl) ,,,,or do you tint it and see how it comes out, and then offer the vinyl option??  

Me personally, I don't bring up the matrix unless they do before hand.  I usually just try to tint it best I can,,, see how the matrix comes out,, and then go from there.  

I've never had good success either way.  Explaining matrix to a customer is a real PITA sometimes depending on the customer and their comprehension level.  Some of them don't think they should get charged extra for the vinyl.  There are all kinds of reason why it's a pain.   I was just wondering how some of you deal with this.  Thanks.  

For me, not discussing it first always becomes a problem.

If I explain it to them before hand, that it may be a problem, there are no surprises when the car is picked up.

Same with drying time etc.

I always try to prepare them for the worst, then exceed their expectations. Never did the vinyl thing, usually sanding and glue will get most of them and on the ones that wont lay down, I make sure it's consistent, not raised in some areas and stuck in others, either all or nothing.

I clean back glasses with Sprayway glass cleaner and 0000 steel wool.  I then use "Pro-bond" for a final deep clean on the dots.  I tint the back glass normal and have had very few that have complained in the 13 or so years I have done this.  I have done lots of the mustangs and have pictures of one that was a friends and it dried out to be almost perfect.  Very nice and black.

Some of what causes the silvering is the way you are shrinking.  If the film is not fairly smooth then of course it is not going to lay down nice over the dots.  If you have wavy looking film when you pull it off the glass then you might try and figure out a way to shrink it a bit more smoothly. 

For me, not discussing it first always becomes a problem.

If I explain it to them before hand, that it may be a problem, there are no surprises when the car is picked up.

Same with drying time etc.

I always try to prepare them for the worst, then exceed their expectations.

This i like and really should try to follow more often.  My problem is not wanting to spend the amount of time I need to, out front with the customer, instead of installing.   :foot  I know this is one my weaknesses I need to work on  :slap-on-hand-with-ruler   :heh

but being a one man tint shop and not having anyone who can talk to the customers the way I know how, makes it hard to not install and stay out front talking.  

When I'm giving my pre tint talk with the customer, I also have a care sheet I give them that says everything we talk about, so it goes pretty quick.

Much quicker than trying to do it when they pick the car up, they can be upset and disbelieving at this point.

always before for me, let's them know how it's gonna look. this way if they are super picky I tint up to the dots and then have them come back to spray it with flat black paint. with an extra fee of coarse. If it's a cavalier or sunfire I tell them how shitty their car will look if they don't choose to have me paint the dots. worst dot matrix by far. I quote 5000.00 for those things since I don;t even wanna touch those dirty pigs any more haha. Makes them freak out and go somewhere else lol, see yuh !

always before for me, let's them know how it's gonna look. this way if they are super picky I tint up to the dots and then have them come back to spray it with flat black paint. with an extra fee of coarse. If it's a cavalier or sunfire I tell them how sh***y their car will look if they don't choose to have me paint the dots. worst dot matrix by far. I quote 5000.00 for those things since I don;t even wanna touch those dirty pigs any more haha. Makes them freak out and go somewhere else lol, see yuh !

I'm with you on that! To do one of those cars anymore is a real nightmare and ain't worth doing.

always before for me, let's them know how it's gonna look. this way if they are super picky I tint up to the dots and then have them come back to spray it with flat black paint. with an extra fee of coarse. If it's a cavalier or sunfire I tell them how sh***y their car will look if they don't choose to have me paint the dots. worst dot matrix by far. I quote 5000.00 for those things since I don;t even wanna touch those dirty pigs any more haha. Makes them freak out and go somewhere else lol, see yuh !

I'm with you on that! To do one of those cars anymore is a real nightmare and ain't worth doing.

That's awesome that I'm not the only one who feels that way Ocala!!  You;re #1 in my books.

If I can get to the customer I always do it before and offer vinyl for an extra charge... Hardly ever do vinyl because who wants to pay more for something that's cosmetic.

I clean with dot devil and it's honestly worked well for me.

Archived