done with windshields

I have made numerous attempts at windshields. I've had a few come out really well but too many do not come out good. I think it is time to stop offering this. I know I may get some criticism for it, but many window tinters made a good living without doing windshields. besides it's completely illegal in North Carolina so what's even the point of doing it if its going to have to come off eventually anyway? How many of you guys are offering this and how many do not?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I Still do them.  All the time. Just like illegal cars or doors on trucks.  I try not to go any darker than a 50% and usually try to talk them into 80%. We has a short talk on this not long ago in one of the LOTP games, and I think we came to the conclusion that, we sorta pick and choose our battles with illegal tint (thanks,,,Tintmaster08)  

But, I don't consider them in the money making part of the business.  They are few and far between as tint jobs go, so I just consider them a bonus of sorts, on top of the normal tint jobs.

I have made numerous attempts at windshields. I've had a few come out really well but too many do not come out good. I think it is time to stop offering this. I know I may get some criticism for it, but many window tinters made a good living without doing windshields. besides it's completely illegal in North Carolina so what's even the point of doing it if its going to have to come off eventually anyway? How many of you guys are offering this and how many do not?

I have done my share of windshields. It really is easy money. Most don't require a ton of heat shrinking. The problem that I found with doing them is that the film being so clear, you have a tendency to pick up on the contamination more than on the darker films. You do know how to reverse roll the film right?

Don't know what to say. I have had good luck with the reverse roll on windshields and back glasses. It's a lot better than trying to cradle a 55" plus wide piece of film by yourself into the front seat of a car hitting everything you can with the film.

The glass. Position the film a few inches from the bottom as close as you can to the right or left side. I prefer to unroll it from the passenger side to the drivers side. It's not always going to be easy, or perfect but just try doing the best you can. [emoji106]

I think that windshields are always a challenge in their own right.  Especially lifted trucks when you are working by yourself.  Larger cars with big bulky center consoles are a PITA as well and I was born with monkey arms!  When I reverse roll I typically unroll the film onto the glass and once it is all unrolled and I pull the liner off the backside, I then pull the film back down and spray it lightly then put it in place... I dont seem to be able to slide it right into place once it is unrolled, I should probably just increase my slip.

Archived