Will vinyl stick to primer.

Guest gary03l

Guest gary03l

Well im going to attempt to wrap my 86 mustang with 3m 1080 wrap. The car is completely primered and well my question is, Will the vinyl stick to the primer? What should I do to prep the surface. Thanks 

Vinyl will stick to whatever you apply it to.

The question is how long.....

Primer has a close to microscopic texture to it and is intended to be painted over.

I'd get your colour and clear coat on the car and let it cure properly before going ahead with the wrap.

You need the proper paint job to protect the metal .

The wrap,being opaque will offer some protection to the underlying paint from the sun.

Keep doing your research!! You will find cases out there where poor body/paintwork was discovered AFTER the wrap was removed.

Absolutely it will, it needs to be a good quality 2K primer.

Im no body work expert but I had thought primer does protect metal so that is news to me. Usually wen you have done the prep and the car is at the primer level then you have done the hard yards for a paint job anyway. This usually means a full wrap will cost more than throwing colour and clear over it.

Guest gary03l

Well I got quoted 3200 for a decent paint job out here in california. Thats why i just bought the 3m wrap. I spend 600 in the wrap and im going to install it my self. 

Primer does protect metal to a degree. Primer is hydroscopic, so unless you paint it or seal it, it will attract water and could cause problems down the road. I'm currently in the same position with a project truck I'm working on. I have had to repair the lower rockers and added a welded in roll pan and replacement fender. The fender and roll pan are in primer black from the manufacturer but the rockers are in regular spray on primer. I've been told that I should use primer sealer to encapsulate it so it doesn't attract water and can be wetsanded to a smooth finish before applying the vinyl. This should allow the vinyl to stick and be removed later on without any issues.

So far, I've not done any more to the truck as I'm trying to confirm this myself but thought I'd add what I've learned so far.

I can't find it right now but I did see where they did something similar to a convertible gto or such in one of the muscle car magazines. They made repairs and then applied vinyl to it.

Hope this helps.

Well I got quoted 3200 for a decent paint job out here in california. Thats why i just bought the 3m wrap. I spend 600 in the wrap and im going to install it my self. 

Good luck with that. It is a problem that people think it is an easy DIY, prepare for a world of pain!

I never understand why people wont buy a cheap spray gun, go get some paint and try that themselves.

Archived