any reason to pick xpel utlimate over suntek?

I was installing both Ultimate and Suntek... but now pretty much only install Suntek. Although I think Sunteks film is better I believe Xpel has excellent patterns so I still pay for DAP. Xpel does a great job in not only making patterns but getting them out quickly and they tend to have more patterns for vehicles. A lot of cars they have pretty much every panel so its nice to have that especially if the customers specifically requests he was a kit install. I will add though that I find Suntek has made their software much easier to operate. I can go in and adjust patterns very easily and quickly where Xpel takes some time to manipulate.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 10 year warranty on Ultimate vs. Sunteks 5 is very intriguing. Also, customers often question the 8mil vs. 6mil being more durable. But seems obvious here based on comments that the ultimate doesn't install as nicely and is not as optically clear so everyone is preferring to use PPFC.

PPFC looks better in the end. 

DAP is great, just expensive, but then again, all good things cost money!

I was told ppfc was 8mil, 6 film and 2 adhesive, which is said to be the same as xpel....true or not?

IMO, warranty shouldnt be a factor.  You take off the film after 4 to 5 years anyway, whats the point to a 10 year.  All films will loose luster, get dirty, look worse in 5 years.  plus its easier, faster, and safer to remove film at the 5 year mark compared to the 10 year mark.

The 10 year warranty on Ultimate vs. Sunteks 5 is very intriguing. Also, customers often question the 8mil vs. 6mil being more durable. But seems obvious here based on comments that the ultimate doesn't install as nicely and is not as optically clear so everyone is preferring to use PPFC.

The ten year warranty is a kind of a gimmick. Most new vehicle owners keep a new car for 4-5 years... although it was closer to five years when the economy went downhill. Film manufacturers know this which is why they typically set warranties at 5 years. Warranties are not transferable when the vehicle is sold... so most people will never go over that five year mark. From what I have seen most of the people who keep cars long term 5+ years will end up keeping the car as a garage queen... so it wont be exposed to the elements daily. There really isn't any worry for anyone offering longer than a 5 years warranty because they know the overall majority of them wont keep the vehicle that long.

As far as the film thicknesses that is false. Both film are pretty much the same thickness Suntek is 8.0 mil and Xpel Ultimate is 8.1 mil.  .1 mil is not enough for anyone to possibly notice and it sure isn't going to make the film any stronger. I think people think Suntek is thinner because its more pliable. Pliability isn't directly relatable to film thickness. IMHO Suntek has the least texture between the two, has a much easier adhesive to work with, and the self healing is just as good as Xpel. Removing Suntek is as easy as it gets. No adhesive left behind and it pulls off easily. Xpel tends to leave some adhesive behind... but nothing like 3M Scotchguard.

http://suntektrucut.com/files/PPF%20Specifications.pdf

https://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp

With auto loans being pushed out to up to 84 months (the length of the average car loan is now 67 months), it certainly isn't a bad idea to have a warranty that covers the film as long as the consumer owes the bank for their vehicle.  The rate of long term auto loans are growing VERY quickly each year.

Is your typical Lambo or Ferrari owner going to be taking out an 84 month loan?  Doubtful.  But the real growth opportunity in this industry lies within serving the Chevys, Fords, Toyotas, and Kias of the world.  With a few exceptions, I think most of us have worked on more Corvettes than Lamborghinis this year.  

Is a 10 year warranty necessary in every case?  Of course not.  Can it be helpful for landing a customer or dealership account?  Absolutely.

As far as thickness is concerned, I won't dive in to the topic again, other to say that good micrometer caliper might be the best way for each of you to gather the facts.  I think you'll find both of those spec sheets to be less than spot on.

Having said all of that, people that use XPEL film usually choose to do so for reasons other than minor technical differences in the film or the number years listed on the warranty card.  What I typically hear from our customers is that it's about having guidance, someone to help them grow their business, and the relationships formed along the way. 

Both SunTek PPFC and XPEL Ultimate are good products and both can very easily be a part of a very successful business if your level of service/installation quality/professionalism is on point.

all good info.

I was asked about nano fusion the other day.

is that correct that it is lifetime warranty?  is it transferable?

I know the film is not like the first gen that was out before company was sold. I was waiting for it back when and it never was available.

With auto loans being pushed out to up to 84 months (the length of the average car loan is now 67 months), it certainly isn't a bad idea to have a warranty that covers the film as long as the consumer owes the bank for their vehicle.  The rate of long term auto loans are growing VERY quickly each year.

Is your typical Lambo or Ferrari owner going to be taking out an 84 month loan?  Doubtful.  But the real growth opportunity in this industry lies within serving the Chevys, Fords, Toyotas, and Kias of the world.  With a few exceptions, I think most of us have worked on more Corvettes than Lamborghinis this year.  

Is a 10 year warranty necessary in every case?  Of course not.  Can it be helpful for landing a customer or dealership account?  Absolutely.

As far as thickness is concerned, I won't dive in to the topic again, other to say that good micrometer caliper might be the best way for each of you to gather the facts.  I think you'll find both of those spec sheets to be less than spot on.

Having said all of that, people that use XPEL film usually choose to do so for reasons other than minor technical differences in the film or the number years listed on the warranty card.  What I typically hear from our customers is that it's about having guidance, someone to help them grow their business, and the relationships formed along the way. 

Both SunTek PPFC and XPEL Ultimate are good products and both can very easily be a part of a very successful business if your level of service/installation quality/professionalism is on point.

I agree with some of what you posted but when I spoke of people keeping cars that's across the industry.... to include Chevy's, Fords, Kias... people just don't keep vehicles over the long term. Sure its a good selling point but it kind of goes back to what I was saying, you guys know the majority of people wont keep the car that long so it wont affect you as in having to replace film. Now if you really want to offer a good ten year warranty then make it transferable. After all if the film will hold up then it should not matter who owns the vehicle.

I agree both films are good. I do have my preference though from having installed both. I am not sure how you could have a successful business without offering the best products on the market. If you install junk film no matter how good the install is sooner or later people will stop returning because they have too many issues with the product.

Tintek I used to install Avery Nano Fusion. It was an excellent film and the smoothest I have ever seen. But when they stopped production and then started back up the film was completely different. I wont touch the stuff now as it doesn't hold up to either Xpel Ultimate or Suntek. its a shame they changed it up for whatever reason.

That is not accurate. It is only a lifetime warranty if you have taken their training course. Otherwise, I believe it is a 7 year warranty. But they only offer lifetime for those who are "certified" by taking their course.

that doesn't make any sense to me. so if you take there certification class they will offer a 7 yr film to lifetime? So the installer has to deal with all the film failure for the owners who own the car for many years and expect it to be covered.

not sure what they would teach and if its anything different then what I have done for 20 yrs with all the different materials on the market.

how long has the new film been out? 2 yrs? it is not the same film as previous nano correct?

seems to me they are hard up to push the lifetime only if you take the training class. even if I went through the hoopla I wouldn't offer it more then 7 yrs period. we all know what film looks like in the sun in different climates.

does anyone on here use this film? what are your likes and dislikes?

thx

Archived