Pain't protection beginner.

So I have my own small tinting and audio shop. I'm a one man show and I do want to learn how to do paint protection. I'm a very good learner and pick things up quickly. I was planning on getting a plotter so want to make the most of it. Is there a place I can go for training or is it something someone can pick up with tinting skills? I have over 8 years experience tinting. And any recommendations on good brands. Any info would help. Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suntek ppf has a good look to it and is very easy to work with. I have used 3M ppf and Ventureshield which can be more aggressive. I still hand cut some of the Suntek patterns so they fit properly, other than that it works. As for the training, its like tint the more cars you get your hand on the more you learn what the film can and can't do. Try getting some sample pieces and test on mirrors and smaller areas of cars. Best of luck in your business and learning.

I can tell you that a (good) training class is much cheaper than the film and labor used to try to learn the same concepts on your own over time.  

It's not uncommon for a less experienced installer to spend 4+ hours on a partial hood/fenders/mirrors/bumper, where as a highly experienced installer can usually knock them out (with better quality) in closer to 2-2.5 hours.  If you did a car per week for a year, that'd equate to in 2.6 - 3.25 WEEKS worth of labor time by the end of the year.  As you can see, it pays to get up to speed quickly.

$895 covers film, tools, and lunches.  Classes are held in San Antonio, TX weekly.  Shoot me an e-mail at jphillips@xpel.com and I can give you maps, hotel info, etc.  We'd love to have you down, as we need someone in the Las Cruces area!

$895 covers film, tools, and lunches. Classes are held in San Antonio, TX weekly. Shoot me an e-mail at jphillips@xpel.com and I can give you maps, hotel info, etc. We'd love to have you down, as we need someone in the Las Cruces area!

How many hours does this class run, I've been thinking about learning ppf.

Archived