Understanding ceramic film performance

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

Many of y'all here may not realize it but there is a lot that goes in to the making of these videos. I was there when portions of this was made to kind of give feedback and support and I got to give Ralphy boy some serious respect! This was an especially difficult video due to the content.

Good job buddy!

Many of y'all here may not realize it but there is a lot that goes in to the making of these videos. I was there when portions of this was made to kind of give feedback and support and I got to give Ralphy boy some serious respect! This was an especially difficult video due to the content.

Good job buddy!

Are you here to help promote Flexfilm?

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

No . I actually use a different brand . Me and Ralph are good friends though. He lives about. 30 minutes from me .

He means well and has really taught a lot of tinters a lot of things. We bounce ideas off of each other a lot . We just have mutual respect for each other . Funny thing is when I first heard of him I had a bad view of him . But when I met him I realized I hadn't gave him much credit .

Again I'm not here to promote any film , not even my own. If anything I'm just here to learn, socialize and generally just have a good time . I could honestly care less who uses what film . If I'm asked about any specific film , well I have an opinion just like anyone else.

I read this forum a lot but have never posted before - but I wanted to share some thoughts on this video.

I like the intent of the video - it simplifies things and is mostly accurate. However, TSER does take into account absorbtion - it uses a steady-state calculation to break up absorbed energy into what is re-directed (either by radiation or convection) inwards and outwards.

There is some validity to TSER being less applicable to a moving car because more of the absorbed energy is pulled outwards due to the relative wind speed. But to say that TSER only accounts for reflection is unfair and would put in in the same category of "IR Rejection" - which does only account for transmission.

Lastly, the IR lamp is a great tangible demo - but it definitely has some inaccuracies as well. Solar energy is almost 50/50 split between visible and IR but the heat lamp is mostly IR so it gives an uneven weighting to IR rejecting films.

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

I agree with you.

I have however tested the whole heat lamp vs normal full light flood lamp side by side and could only feel a very negligible difference if any at all.

You also must keep in mind that the visible light isn't necessarily causing any discomfort to the vehicle occupant.

At least not heat. ( yes I realize that light accounts for energy but energy and heat aren't exactly the same.)

IR in specific is the part of the solar spectrum that your body actually registers most easily as heat.

Imo if you reduce the ir you increase the comfort.

Archived