Understanding ceramic film performance

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this forum a lot but have never posted before - but I wanted to share some thoughts on this video.

I like the intent of the video - it simplifies things and is mostly accurate. However, TSER does take into account absorbtion - it uses a steady-state calculation to break up absorbed energy into what is re-directed (either by radiation or convection) inwards and outwards.

There is some validity to TSER being less applicable to a moving car because more of the absorbed energy is pulled outwards due to the relative wind speed. But to say that TSER only accounts for reflection is unfair and would put in in the same category of "IR Rejection" - which does only account for transmission.

Lastly, the IR lamp is a great tangible demo - but it definitely has some inaccuracies as well. Solar energy is almost 50/50 split between visible and IR but the heat lamp is mostly IR so it gives an uneven weighting to IR rejecting films.

Well put AJD,

Welcome... Even though you have been lurking a while... :thumb

We have had a number of people who have had their cars tinted with an 'IR' film come to this forum and ask 'Why doesn't my car stay cool like the heat lamp demonstration showed me?'

I think unless the customer is made aware that the heat lamp demonstration is a false impression of a real life scernario, then it is nothing but a sales trick.

Yes, certain films will cut high levels of certain types of solar energy, at specific wave lengths... However, a 5 second placing of ones hand under a heat bulb that has a piece of glass fitted with an 'IR' film (Or any film) is not a real life scenario. Who takes their car out of the garage and goes for a 5 second drive? Nobody.

Why not have the customer place their hand in a sealed box for 30 minutes? That's real. The discomfort that they would be feeling would be from the intense radiant heat that has built up from solar absorption.

On a summers day here in Australia, a child left inside a vehicle could and has died in less than 20 minutes. Just imagine if a parent of that child deemed it safe that they could leave their child in the car for a few minutes because they have an 'IR' film applied to their glass? And the nice man that demostrated is amazing performance showed me that it doesn't allow Infrared heat to get through.

Why not send a customer out into a car park and have them sit inside a car that has no film applied, a non 'IR' film, and an 'IR' film on a hot day. The car without the film may be slightly hotter because more energy is being absorbed by the interior of the car, but I believe that the difference between the 'IR' filmed car and the non 'IR' filmed car would be next to nothing, if not nothing at all. I think that the heat demo sends the wrong message, without the right education and information going with it.

I would choose a good quality color stable dye/metal hybrid based film over an 'IR' film that has little track record any day of the season. A products track record will determine how long it will be around for. However, I would choose a good quality 'IR' film over a good quality dye/hybrid film also. I would be looking for.... You guessed it... The film with the highest TSEr.

Cheers

Archived