Will film help with reflecting the suns rays?

First, I don't do residential so forgive me for my question but I'm hoping my fellow tinters can help explain this to me.

I've been presented a question by a builder friend of mine that's looking for a solution to a problem he is facing. He thought since I do automotive I would know about doing residential.

He is building an addition onto a house and part of the problem the homeowner has is that a portion of their house that faces south reflects the suns rays to an adjacent part of the house that has melted the siding. The back of the house has a fireplace in the middle and window up both sides with slanted windows at the top. I'm sure most of you have seen something like this before.

The windows are double pane windows. The question is, what film can be placed on the windows to help with the reflection of the suns rays? Does it need to go on the inside or outside?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read on here that Llumar makes a film called Helios 80 that should work. Anyone have any thoughts on this film?

I don't think so but you may wish to reconfirm with Smartie

Fat Cat, it's funny you mentioned Smartie, I looked back at the post and it was Smartie that provided this answer below:

"Most likely hi-performance lowE on # 2 surface of dual pane involved here. Dual pane units are made with a negative bow or concave; ) (, by removing the air in their spacing. A vacuum enough to cause the glass to bow inward slightly when not exposed to the sun. This is to allow for the dead air (or gas filled) to expand when the sun is heating up the unit to the point it is convex rather than concave, ( ) or flat | |. In rare instances where the sun's angle is just right on the glass that is in this state; ) (, the reflection off the outer pane's surface concentrates the sun's energy like a heat ray.

The way to neutralize the effect is to install a IR absorbing exterior film (such as LLumar's THE 80 aka exterior AIR 80) or fashion a screen to mount like a storm window over the entire window area.  Film applied to the internal will not change or impact this phenomenon." 

I'm not a LLumar dealer so does anyone know where I can get this film or what other manufacturers offer a film like this?

Archived