Will film help with reflecting the suns rays?

Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

I read on here that Llumar makes a film called Helios 80 that should work. Anyone have any thoughts on this film?

I don't think so but you may wish to reconfirm with Smartie

Fat Cat, it's funny you mentioned Smartie, I looked back at the post and it was Smartie that provided this answer below:

"Most likely hi-performance lowE on # 2 surface of dual pane involved here. Dual pane units are made with a negative bow or concave; ) (, by removing the air in their spacing. A vacuum enough to cause the glass to bow inward slightly when not exposed to the sun. This is to allow for the dead air (or gas filled) to expand when the sun is heating up the unit to the point it is convex rather than concave, ( ) or flat | |. In rare instances where the sun's angle is just right on the glass that is in this state; ) (, the reflection off the outer pane's surface concentrates the sun's energy like a heat ray.

The way to neutralize the effect is to install a IR absorbing exterior film (such as LLumar's THE 80 aka exterior AIR 80) or fashion a screen to mount like a storm window over the entire window area. Film applied to the internal will not change or impact this phenomenon."

I'm not a LLumar dealer so does anyone know where I can get this film or what other manufacturers offer a film like this?

I agree with smarties here.

I have seen this firsthand in Florida

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bbvaldezjuly4th

Just be aware that there are other issues with using an external film.... I wouldn't make any type of guarantee that it will solve the problem, just in case it does not. :twocents

Perhaps a translucent etch vinyl would be a wise choice. Would both absorb and "dissipate " the reflected energy

Another thought would be a film like Rain Glass from Solyx. It has a embossed texture that may reflect light in multiple directions, thus not directing it one direction like a magnifying glass. All the natural light would still pass through but obviously it will alter the optics looking out. Also a vinyl so exterior application May last a respectable amount of time.

Just my opinion. But if you don't get in front of the glass, no film on the opposite side is going to have the proper effect to stop the reflection issue. I would think it would have to be something in front, or on the exterior to solve the problem. :twocents

Just my opinion. But if you don't get in front of the glass, no film on the opposite side is going to have the proper effect to stop the reflection issue. I would think it would have to be something in front, or on the exterior to solve the problem. :twocents

I'm suggesting the Rain Glass on the exterior. Anything applied interior is going to compound the problem

Another thought would be a film like Rain Glass from Solyx. It has a embossed texture that may reflect light in multiple directions, thus not directing it one direction like a magnifying glass. All the natural light would still pass through but obviously it will alter the optics looking out. Also a vinyl so exterior application May last a respectable amount of time.

Good ideas but they want clear Views of the river they live on so only a clear film will do.

:yeah  Most especially with dual or triple pane IGU. HP coatings on IGU glass today are the culprit.

Edit: Also, the space between panes are sealed and a vacuum is created to pull the panes inward slightly to maintain a convex surface to either side of the unit. The target is to limit the pane(s) to not exceed 'flat' and become concave when solar energy be heats the glass.

Have the same kind of situation a contractor was asking me for help with.  Figured it would have to be an exterior installation of a film to either absorb or diffuse the sun's rays.  Customer apparently doesn't care if they lose the light coming in through the skylight.  Thought of an exterior black vinyl.  Glass is likely tempered but there could still be a problem.  Also thought of something like Dusted Crystal, which is exterior compatible and safe, but didn't know if it would be effective enough.

Archived