How to charge mileage to customers

I am starting to get into commercial and residential tinting and I recently did a job for an auto parts store here in town. They have another location that is exactly 100 miles from my shop. I am supposed to drive over to take measurements and planning tomorrow for their quote. I am wondering if any of you guys do much traveling for commercial tint jobs and if so how do you charge the customer for the travel expenses? I am thinking per mile any suggestions how much a reasonable price would be? Would you charge anything just to give the quote?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cover a fairly large area - which is my choice. Can't penalize a potential customer because I'm making the choice to cover a large area, IMO.

I do not charge for travel... it's built into my prices already.  You could try to charge a fee in order to give an estimate, but since most, if not all, other shops don't, I think it would be hard to get someone to agree to that.

Again, in my rate, compensation for estimates is built in already. Granted, if you don't get the job, you don't get anything..... but at the end of the year everything should even out fairly well if you are charging accordingly.

For commercial, you can ask if they have blueprints of the windows they could email you - in which case you can get the measurements that way. Since you already did one location, the odds should be in your favor that you'd get the 2nd job, so personally I wouldn't really be concerned about being compensated for doing the est. Esp. since if priced properly that compensation would come after the job is completed.

Today I drove 114 miles, each way, but it was for a client that I have done dozens of jobs for already...

Would I go that far for a cold call? Not sure tbh... I'd do everything I could to get measurements and/or pictures of the windows via email first... really scope out the job prior to agreeing to go out - knowing exactly how big the job is... if it's just 2 windows or 20. What their issue is that they want to solve... "We want night time privacy with a clear film" - which ain't gonna happen - it would be a huge waste to not get that info before driving for 90 minutes only to find out film won't/can't do what they want.

Flat glass is  a lot different then cars... bottom line - you take the good with the bad. Gonna travel for estimates that you may very well never get the jobs for.  The key is to make sure you price your jobs properly so everything balances out at the end of the day.

:twocents :twocents :twocents :twocents :twocents :twocents  (About $0.12 worth! :lol )

More than not I get a customer to measure windows. If I am going to be in the area then no big deal but unless I am very hungry I am not driving 100 miles just to do an estimate these days.

Ask them to send you a photo or two and the measurements . Especially from the floor to the top of the glass.

If that doesnt fly .. Ever heard of Google street view?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@32.6303342,-85.4424312,3a,15y,335.75h,83.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj22URUQqSS_XniFvWQBmuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.ca/maps/@32.6197423,-85.4593145,3a,75y,148.18h,85.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUiNU8NQgYoHIdo2QdWGr9Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Be careful! Some customers will give bad measurements to save themselves money, or accidentally. Even if you trust them, and have had them as a customer in the past, never pre-cut film based on customer's measurements. Make sure to let them know it's an estimate and the true cost will be known when you see the windows in person.

There are too many unknown factors that can change an estimate dramatically.

You get shelves in front of windows, film faded so clear the customer didn't even know it was there, bars to remove, doors to take apart, surprises that leave you 100 miles away from home looking for equipment to rent.

Thats why when you ask for pics get inside ones too.

Years ago as an installer I went to a site

It was a retail store with front and back exposure full height  glass.

I arrived expecting to film the front NO NO NO NO .....the manager takes me to the store room. "Millions" of dollars worth of blankets duvets pillows all on a skid rack system right up tight to the blinds.

The sales guy measured from the outside with the blinds down.

Manager expected me to move it.

Nope didn't happen.

I cover a fairly large area - which is my choice. Can't penalize a potential customer because I'm making the choice to cover a large area, IMO.

I do not charge for travel... it's built into my prices already.  You could try to charge a fee in order to give an estimate, but since most, if not all, other shops don't, I think it would be hard to get someone to agree to that.

Again, in my rate, compensation for estimates is built in already. Granted, if you don't get the job, you don't get anything..... but at the end of the year everything should even out fairly well if you are charging accordingly.

For commercial, you can ask if they have blueprints of the windows they could email you - in which case you can get the measurements that way. Since you already did one location, the odds should be in your favor that you'd get the 2nd job, so personally I wouldn't really be concerned about being compensated for doing the est. Esp. since if priced properly that compensation would come after the job is completed.

Today I drove 114 miles, each way, but it was for a client that I have done dozens of jobs for already...

Would I go that far for a cold call? Not sure tbh... I'd do everything I could to get measurements and/or pictures of the windows via email first... really scope out the job prior to agreeing to go out - knowing exactly how big the job is... if it's just 2 windows or 20. What their issue is that they want to solve... "We want night time privacy with a clear film" - which ain't gonna happen - it would be a huge waste to not get that info before driving for 90 minutes only to find out film won't/can't do what they want.

Flat glass is  a lot different then cars... bottom line - you take the good with the bad. Gonna travel for estimates that you may very well never get the jobs for.  The key is to make sure you price your jobs properly so everything balances out at the end of the day.

:twocents :twocents :twocents :twocents :twocents :twocents  (About $0.12 worth! :lol )

:yeah

My 2 cent typing travel cost:

Too many hungry folks vying for jobs to be charging mileage to do an estimate, especially residential situations. If you go to charging for travel time, it can always be 'built in' to the quote. Not necessarily itemized for all to see but, added to the proposal total. This also gives you incentive to be at your best in selling skills to land the job, no win, no getting that time back. 

And, track all mileage (keep thorough records) and turn it in at tax time. 2016 business mileage rate from the IRS is 54c/mile. At least you get something for wear and tear. Some large sq ft's commercial contract bids do request trip charge inclusion however, you will not see it unless awarded the job.

I believe your best bet is to go out at no charge and build travel time into the quote... retrievable at job completion. Only you can determine what your worth is per hour of time.

Leave real early morning and be back sooner to your shop if you must

Gas prices are not bad,,,get that job

I was over 300mi away with a job from a blueprint spec quote for 70 windows and of course 60 were bigger(3"to 6"in) than spec,,I had enough film for 10 extra and was 1 window short,,had to overnight a small box for next day,,lol

Archived