Trimming around mirrors

Hello fellow tinters, I'm new here and I would like some insight on tinting around rearview mirrors without light gaps, sitting on the hood of the vehicle, etc. and you know how stupid most fords are with their breakable glass. i searched this and found something one of you had posted about a gt188 template from express films website that i thought would be a great help. I ordered it and they e-mailed saying its discontinued. Please give me some pointers or tell me what it is that you do that helps out. Any advice would be much appreciated...

Hi rdcheek. :welcome

My tip. CLEAN REALLY WELL!!! Then, install without cutting out the button. THEN -- Before your squeegee down your strip or full windshield, one click one the Olfa or red dot. Carefully trim out your button and spread your film accordingly. Buttons with no black frit will have a slight light gap( paint pen ). Make sure you use enough slip to move your film after cutting out the button.

This method allows you to place your film and then trim with not light around the edges.

If you try to trim before install, you might get it wrong and waste a whole piece.

Practice, practice. :thumb2

thanks PJ, and Bham, never thought about that...i have no problems if there's frit around it but just the metal piece gets me everytime. i will try this on the next one!! thank you sir :chuck and no ma'am, i havent checked ill do that now.

a few other websites offer it, its called the windshield wizard gt188 im just scared to order it, express said its discontinued i dont know if that means discontinued totally or just off their website. maybe the tool's not worth it, maybe its shit. 

Archived