removing back glass nightmare

I've done it all by now I'm sure, was taught to bag, learned to steam later, heated em from the outside, there's always exeptions to the norm, like the roll cage that was in my way on the mustang I had to scrape. That hurt my soul... And believe me I tried.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody wants to lose when it comes down to it. Sometimes it's more about the end result than the money spent, I bought a pack of plastic razor blades for my next nightmare, anybody tried this? Feedback? Is there a long reach tool that isn't metal that'll hold a plastic razor or do I need to get creative?

I tried the plastic razor blades. They dull too easily. Any hard plastic with a nice square edge works. But you constantly have to sharpen it.

I woulda called the custy and told him either to replace the glass or i could scrape it off with a razor, if hes not worried about defrost lines working. I live in michigan and most people need the lines. Scraped glue on a 95 thunderbird BG once though. Film came off in 2 layers and guy lived in florida i guess and didnt care about the lines. Hard BG to do also!

In many cases the least expensive way is to replace the back glass rather than face spending man-hours and potential other job losses from the time spent removing. Customer pays though for the replacement.
Perfectly said, the price for safe light to just replace the window vs you scraping for hours, Something has to give. I guess I'm not a "professional" cause I'll turn away a job that bad. I'll let the "professional tinter" down the road spend hours on it, or let his 5 guys scrub away for minimum wage. No where near worth my time!!!

Very true! Although when i did scrape all the brittle film and glue off the glass i used a big 6 in triumph scraper meant for flat glass. Got all of it off in under an hour. Used my olfa for the very bottom (was old thunderbird reverse curve). Worked great though way faster then i thought cuz i didnt wanna be doing it either lol.

Edit:    i use simple green now.  It works more consistently and doesn't have the chemical smell. 

409, garbage bag and a steamer.  Spray the film with 409 liberally, bag it and park it under the sun.  This works on its own more often than not.   If the film is very brittle and keeps breaking, pull out the steamer and slowly help it along with the additional heat.

Sometimes you only have to bag it for 15 minutes, sometimes an hour, or hours...    If the film pulls off but leaves a ton of glue, respray and bag it again until the adhesive turns to snot, then 0000 steel wool it.

If its overcast/winter, you will need a few heat lamps on stands to warm the entire back glass up, just be careful how close you put the lamps for obvious reasons.

Archived