removing back glass nightmare

If anyone can quickly give me any tips that would be great.   Tried removing tint from a back glass from a custys car and one layer stayed on the glass.   I cant get my nail under it to rip it out as it is purple brittle and just breaks right off.   no clue what to do cause  cleaning the window would take a life time.   what to do? please help.   should I just call the customer and say it cant be done? lol.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quickly cut, shrink, and install film on the back glass over the stuck layer.  Squeegee it out real good, maybe apply a little heat from the outside.  Let it sit for a couple hours in the sun then remove the new film with your preferred method.  If you're lucky, this will remove the second layer stuck on the window.  Sounds crazy, but it worked for me on a late 90's Civic.  I'm trying to remember how I removed it... I think I used a steamer after it sat out in the sun for a couple of hours.

I feel your pain, this is probably the worst thing about tinting.  Stubborn BG removals.  Good luck!

I woulda called the custy and told him either to replace the glass or i could scrape it off with a razor, if hes not worried about defrost lines working. I live in michigan and most people need the lines. Scraped glue on a 95 thunderbird BG once though. Film came off in 2 layers and guy lived in florida i guess and didnt care about the lines. Hard BG to do also!

I read some stuff about film removal here :

http://www.tintdude.net/remove.html

You could also

brick3b.jpg

I second the brick, have them call safe light an have a new one put in an Tint it. It'll save you a massive headache. If there not happy about a new window let another shop deal with it. It's honestly not worth it.

Quickly cut, shrink, and install film on the back glass over the stuck layer. Squeegee it out real good, maybe apply a little heat from the outside. Let it sit for a couple hours in the sun then remove the new film with your preferred method. If you're lucky, this will remove the second layer stuck on the window. Sounds crazy, but it worked for me on a late 90's Civic. I'm trying to remember how I removed it... I think I used a steamer after it sat out in the sun for a couple of hours.

I feel your pain, this is probably the worst thing about tinting. Stubborn BG removals. Good luck!

Works really well.

Proper tint removal on a rear window is done with a quality clothing steamer. Most times the film will peel right off. If that is not the case then the adhesive will scrub of easy with stream, 0000 steel wool, degreaser. Don't do anything dishonest breaking the window. This will come back on you. Learn the art of proper tint removal or you are not a tinter at all. Good luck

Archived