removing back glass nightmare

"Proper tint removal" is whatever removes the tint and doesn't damage the window. Steam works, as does the "bag" technique. Tint wizard has used a 45000 watt heater to remove...

To make a statement of "proper" and only list 1 good way is not a correct statement.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:yeah   Nobody has even mentioned boiling it off from the outside with a heat gun either.   That works for anything that might be left that just won't steam off.  

I've never had anything that could resist the boiling method.   :twocents

Well, didn't like to do this but I called the customer and told em that I either scrape the defroster lines to remove the second layer or they replaced the rear window. They were cool about it and decided to get a new rear window. Weather they do or not is not my problem now but I don't like calling a customer to tell em I can't for it. Doesn't look very professional, so keep all tips and tricks coming in and hopefully I can use email next time. Thanks for the replies though

I woulda called the custy and told him either to replace the glass or i could scrape it off with a razor, if hes not worried about defrost lines working. I live in michigan and most people need the lines. Scraped glue on a 95 thunderbird BG once though. Film came off in 2 layers and guy lived in florida i guess and didnt care about the lines. Hard BG to do also!

In many cases the least expensive way is to replace the back glass rather than face spending man-hours and potential other job losses from the time spent removing. Customer pays though for the replacement.

I woulda called the custy and told him either to replace the glass or i could scrape it off with a razor, if hes not worried about defrost lines working. I live in michigan and most people need the lines. Scraped glue on a 95 thunderbird BG once though. Film came off in 2 layers and guy lived in florida i guess and didnt care about the lines. Hard BG to do also!

In many cases the least expensive way is to replace the back glass rather than face spending man-hours and potential other job losses from the time spent removing. Customer pays though for the replacement.

Of course.... That is a last resort, i have also used steel wool and glass cleaner/ adhesive remover if most of the glue came off with the film and only some on the glass.

We charge hourly on pain in the ass back glass removals. I've only had one. And used a an ez reach and just chipped off the bottom layer, sweat with garbage bag, scrape, and repeat until it's done. Was cheaper than a new window, but a complete nightmare. He paid though. About 300$ for one window removal

Nobody wants to lose when it comes down to it. Sometimes it's more about the end result than the money spent, I bought a pack of plastic razor blades for my next nightmare, anybody tried this? Feedback? Is there a long reach tool that isn't metal that'll hold a plastic razor or do I need to get creative?

You can bag it on a sunny day or use a steamer. Film that bad is never fun or quick to remove so make sure you charge enough to cover the time involved. When you get the hang of it, you can usually bag it for about 15 minutes on a hot day, and then slowly peel it off glue and all. Do not let it dry out! You will never need to "scrape" a window if you are willing to spend the time saving it.

Perfectly said, the price for safe light to just replace the window vs you scraping for hours, Something has to give. I guess I'm not a "professional" cause I'll turn away a job that bad. I'll let the "professional tinter" down the road spend hours on it, or let his 5 guys scrub away for minimum wage. No where near worth my time!!!

Archived