Frost Vinyls

Mac

Hi Folks,

I am seeking your opinions on Frost Vinyls.

Over the years we have sampled 3M Dusted Crystal, Decorative Films, Correct Spec, Llumar.

All of these have issues such as stretching at the corners because the liner is to hard to pull.

Or, they are so soft that they will easily scratch.

I realize there is not a perfect film, but there has to be something our there that's easier to work with.

Let me know what you think!

It de

Ends on what you are doing with it and what you desired appearance is. We really like Correct Spec and have no problems with the corners stretching when pulling the liner. Other films that are less dimensionally stable, we find somewhere to hang the film and remove the liner like its on a peal board. Scratching is a matter of picking the correct tool and technique to apply the material.

It de

Ends on what you are doing with it and what you desired appearance is. We really like Correct Spec and have no problems with the corners stretching when pulling the liner. Other films that are less dimensionally stable, we find somewhere to hang the film and remove the liner like its on a peal board. Scratching is a matter of picking the correct tool and technique to apply the material.

Thanks for your input. I assuming you are using a yellow turbo or a felted hard card.

Sorry ....not really familiar with a liner removal technique that would cause vinyl to stretch in a way that would make it unusable. :dunno

Is it hot where you are??? I've only seen vinyl stretch in " scary "ways on really hot days on exterior cover up installs .

For solid coverage our guys often strip and flip on the same glass. Using due care to get the glass and frames clean and pulling film in a manner that does not pick up added debris you can do very clean installs this way.

Film is cut over width about an inch.Mist the glass to do the strip.  "catch " the edge of the vinyl with the texture of the thumb. Pull about 6" or so of liner away at a 45 ° angle . Wet the exposed corner and put it back down on the already wet stripping glass. Assuming a left to right strip you would hold the exposed corner down with wet left hand fingers and pull to the right at 45° until the top right corner of the liner and film meet and a few inches beyond. Mist the exposed film and start to turn your liner pull down and horizontal. . By now you can let go of the top left and get the rest of the liner down and away. Roll it up as you pull down misting as you go . Mist the full film, place  the rolled liner against the wall in  a manner that keeps it from unrolling. Get the film flipped onto the glass, squeegee and trim . 

:yeah  on Toms comments on the right tools and techniques  for the job in locking down the film!

6" glass cleaning squeegee or similar "soft" blade with "Perfect" blade edge works well .

Sorry ....not really familiar with a liner removal technique that would cause vinyl to stretch in a way that would make it unusable. :dunno

Is it hot where you are??? I've only seen vinyl stretch in " scary "ways on really hot days on exterior cover up installs .

For solid coverage our guys often strip and flip on the same glass. Using due care to get the glass and frames clean and pulling film in a manner that does not pick up added debris you can do very clean installs this way.

Film is cut over width about an inch.Mist the glass to do the strip.  "catch " the edge of the vinyl with the texture of the thumb. Pull about 6" or so of liner away at a 45 ° angle . Wet the exposed corner and put it back down on the already wet stripping glass. Assuming a left to right strip you would hold the exposed corner down with wet left hand fingers and pull to the right at 45° until the top right corner of the liner and film meet and a few inches beyond. Mist the exposed film and start to turn your liner pull down and horizontal. . By now you can let go of the top left and get the rest of the liner down and away. Roll it up as you pull down misting as you go . Mist the full film, place  the rolled liner against the wall in  a manner that keeps it from unrolling. Get the film flipped onto the glass, squeegee and trim . 

:yeah  on Toms comments on the right tools and techniques  for the job in locking down the film!

6" glass cleaning squeegee or similar "soft" blade with "Perfect" blade edge works well .

My customer has used MMM, with pieces that are 60x96, by the time he pulled the liner, the corners were distorted.

With some of the knock off films, if you were not careful, you could punch a hole in the film or they were not as SR as MMM.

Thanks for the tip on peeling and flipping, his method was 2 man.

I agree with Tom and WearTheFoxhat for the most part, I have used all of the films you have mentioned and my preference is 3M Dusted Crystal.

Here is a link you may find enlightening regarding 3M Dusted Crystal and correct Spec ..............http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php/topic/73378-3m-dusted-crystal-replacement/?st=0

SolarGard in Australia has a C90 Frost which is a very opaque crisp white colour.

This is a poly frost and is the same to reverse roll and install as any solar film.

Many tinters not used to working with vinyls will find this much easier to handle.

Not sure if it makes it to the US catalogue.

My customer has used MMM, with pieces that are 60x96, by the time he pulled the liner, the corners were distorted.

With some of the knock off films, if you were not careful, you could punch a hole in the film or they were not as SR as MMM.

Thanks for the tip on peeling and flipping, his method was 2 man.

A 60x96, I can see the corners getting stretched with Dusted Crystal. With someone holding the film and another pulling the liner off, that would be big enough to cause issues. If possible I would find a peal board close to the window that is getting films. .. I have never been a big fan of using the window I'm filming to peel, then flip and install. .. Just asking for contamination IMO. . Also, we prefer Correct Spec for large windows where Dusted is specified. The liner is significantly easier to remove and the film itself is more dimensionally stable which all but eliminates the issues you have with the others.

Archived