Thunderbird

Really? Yes really.  So I'm about to start this car and I have not done one of them in about 10 years. Does anyone get this done in one piece because I remember struggling with that back in the day. I'm sure I'm a little better now 

IMG_0055.JPG

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well things certainly have changed in the last decade. Shrunk out piece a cake, those bottom flappy corners are what I have to deal with now. I might put some adhesive promoter down there since I don't have an extra guy with a heat gun 

dont need one.  heat the pouch not the edge.  youtube Rob forbes reverse curve.    even the berretta is easy once ya know the concept.  

If you are feeling froggy,  when i was working on the peanut problem i worked on a compressed shrink concept. then I thought on a reverse curve, if you snap the bottom it might just lay flat no stretching.  have yet to get one to try.   been off work a month now,  really wanted to test the theory

Next one try making small cuts in the overlap in those pesky corners. My cuts are about a inch apart (very small like Trumps hands, about a 1/8- 1/4 inch long) and go approximately 6 inches up and in from the corner.

i have the Thunderbird in my Portland class to do demos on reverse curves. Usually will make the small relief cuts to remove the edge pressure on one side and leave the other. Never fail the relief cut corner lays first time and the un-cut corner pops up! 

This window is the one where I learned to use wd40 to clean my tools and film when you get the black buttle hot and it gets everywhere :woot2

cheers

9 hours ago, shadytints said:

dont need one.  heat the pouch not the edge.  youtube Rob forbes reverse curve.    even the berretta is easy once ya know the concept.  

That dude's "frankie on steroids" cracks me up. :lol 

Last one i did(about 8yrs ago?) 1 piece wet shrinked it and pulled the seatbelt  cover things out of the way and reamed out the bottom deck edge with a plastic chisel thing and mowed the deck fibers with the heatgun and soaked that also

Then squeeged the tricky bottom corners very hard and pulled the bottom  corners of the film outward when squeeging and it stuck,,dont want to big of pattern

Rear deck removed would be nice also but to much work

An old-skooler of 35 years told me to shrink everything EXCEPT those bottom corners. When you install it, squeegie and as fast as you can and stick a bundle of paper towels in there to keep it from lifting back up. Let it sit for an hour to dry and you're done. I have yet to try this out so I can't vouch for it.

Archived