Tinting with Air 90

I live in a state where the front windows and can not block more than 30% of the light.  I have a new Subaru Outback and information from an Outback forum indicates that the factory front windows OEM are a 75%. 

Assuming that's true, I could not even use Air 90 on the front windows because that would drop the light transmission blocking above 30%.

Am I correct?

No you're working backwards. You should be able to use a film that meters right around 40% for an install between 31 to 34, Hope that helps.

Nothing compares to any actual meter but by the formula the manufactures use it would be 75x.40=30%. Very rare to see that number land on the actual meter number though so it's always best to have it checked. 

Edited by jh812

Like JH  said, it's the other way around. It has to allow 30 % through the glass, not block.I guess before I say that for sure, what state are you in?

Edited by Jake

The laws specifically states:

"No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:

(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield;"

So, when a meter is put to the window it must allow 70% of the light through.  Therefore, if OEM is already blocking 24%-25% on the front windows then the Air 90 would put it above the 30% blocking requirement.

Do I have this wrong?

Edited by wiiawiwb

You didn't mention the windshield in your original question.  

Anything other than a strip at the top is illegal.  Even 90% on the windshield is technically illegal because you are adding film/laminate to the windshield glass.  

The driver and passenger doors are different and if you are in an area where the law is 30% for the front 2 doors, you can install a 40ish% film and still be legal.  

Edited by Bham
nicer

Ah yeah I thought you were saying the two fronts. The windshield is a weird one. I sell 80 as a legal film to customers reason being once it's installed it meters 65. I say no one ever notices the shade on the glass but you get the heat rejection. 90 imo isn't worth it imo because you only get a 20 to 30% feet where as 80 you get in the 40's :twocents

Sorry guys, I didn't copy and paste the part about the front windows in subsection (2). Here it is and it's the same 70 rule:

No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road or street:

(1) the front windshield of which is composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent unless such materials are limited to the uppermost six inches of the windshield;  or

(2) the sidewings or side windows of which on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent;  or

@wiiawiwb 

:idea   

Maybe it would be best to just go ahead and give us the state you live in,,,, let us look up the correct law,,, and then inform you of what you are allowed to have. :yep     Just sayin :heh 

Edited by Bham