Will be opening business SOON!!!!!! need advice!!!

I have a location in mind, Im waiting to ETS out of the US ARMY to move back home and open my shop. I will have a decent amount of money to put into my business. I have been using Solar Gard, and I'm charging 120 a car on average. I strip and tint a car for 160. I need to know if I should buy different types of tint, or just stick with what is working for me? I also need to know if I am undercharging. I feel like I can get 200$ a car, but I don't know if it will scare customers away with me barely opening the doors. 

Thanks in advance

Edited by B3ATDAH3AT

If I could tell my younger self what to do I'd start with Entreleadership Books and courses by Dave Ramsey

https://www.daveramsey.com/entreleadership

Charge for the type of clients you want to have coming back for more.

Edited by WearTheFoxHat

2 hours ago, B3ATDAH3AT said:

I have a location in mind, Im waiting to ETS out of the US ARMY to move back home and open my shop. I will have a decent amount of money to put into my business. I have been using Solar Gard, and I'm charging 120 a car on average. I strip and tint a car for 160. I need to know if I should buy different types of tint, or just stick with what is working for me? I also need to know if I am undercharging. I feel like I can get 200$ a car, but I don't know if it will scare customers away with me barely opening the doors. 

Thanks in advance

You're work speaks for itself. If you feel your work and time are good at 120, keep going. No overhead, material cost, you are making what a mechanic shop bay runs per hour. If you installs are nice, bump it up. I seen businesses that are established for years, get into the window film business and do horrible work, on the other hand, seen new businesses to great work but takes time for community traffic to recognize the establishment and stop in

What you charge depends on you; what are you worth? You're not going into business to rip people off but you also want to make a living while turning a profit. I don't know you're skill set so I can't give you an honest opinion on that but I will say you're at the near bottom on pricing. I've personally worked for shops that charge those prices and it becomes an overwhelming nightmare in a year or two. This is an art if your heart is in it and you can make good money but it's more than just hanging film and getting it out the door when you own the place. :twocents

Dude...we have a lost skill trade like lock smith.  The all charge me $300 to unlock my door when I got lock out.  The charge me $600 to change out new lock for my place when keys are lost or stolen.  .....Let me tell you something about locksmith .....They all work together on pricing.  They don't rip no one off.  Their time are worth that much and they value it so much that they charge that much.

Why can't we value our time and skill set.  If we all work together instead of trying to undercut each other.  We will all be valuable.

The service industry is here to stay and will alway have a demand.  DO NOT DEPRECIATE THE SKILL AND DEMAND. I live in Houston and  we are short on tinter big time.  

6 hours ago, B3ATDAH3AT said:

I feel like I can get 200$ a car, but I don't know if it will scare customers away with me barely opening the doors. 

Why can't we value our time and skill set.  If we all work together instead of trying to undercut each other.  We will all be valuable.

The service industry is here to stay and will alway have a demand.  DO NOT DEPRECIATE THE SKILL AND DEMAND. I live in Houston and  we are short on tinter big time.  

1. It is a lot hard to raise your prices then to start off at the level you want to be at. 

2. This is a valued skill which not everyone can do. Don't cut yourself short.

3. Your customer base is going to come according to the prices you charge. Want to work on junk, dirty cars owned by people that are going to nitpick your work? Charge low prices. Want to tint newer cars by reasonable people? Charge accordingly. 

You will save yourself a ton of headaches by being towards the higher end of the price scale then the lower.  All smart business people, in any business, will tell you that. Look at all those joke sites - People of Walmart - and such. Walmart has rock bottom prices.... and look at their customers. Full disclosure - I shop at walmart all the time. But I don't go shopping in my PJs. :lol6

Edited by Roach

8 hours ago, Roach said:

Your customer base is going to come according to the prices you charge. Want to work on junk, dirty cars owned by people that are going to nitpick your work? Charge low prices. Want to tint newer cars by reasonable people? Charge accordingly. 

This is exactly right.  I had a competitor in my shop the other day complaining about how all he ever gets to tint is crap jobs.  He has the lowest prices in the city. I told him how to fix it...but I doubt he will listen. :krazy 

@sunstopwindowtinting I use Solar Gard Smoke and Supreme. I love the film. I love tinting cars. I started doing it because I was a E3 in the Army with a family to provide for, and it was hot as hell in Ft. Stewart. I didn't have the money to pay someone to tint my car so I bought tint and took a crack at it. A lot of people in my unit noticed my windows were tinted and wanted theirs done, and not long after that I was making around 3000 a month. My favorite part about tinting is the micro gap that is left at the top edge of the window once the film is applied. It can make or break a great job. I appreciate everyone's input on my situation. In my opinion, I will tint anyone that wants it. But if someone brings me a disgusting car I will point them to the nearest car wash to clean the car before they bring it into my shop. A nitpicking customer cannot give me a hard time as long as I deliver on the job.