Keeping up with science

I'll bet there are some conditional hangups on how/when/where it will work........and for how long. Probably would have to be an exterior applied film in order to react with the outside seasonal temperature. If installed on the interior it would probably not be as efficient because of the ambient temperature range of 60-80* that most people keep their home. As we all know exterior applied anything brings up longevity concerns. Seems like an idea that will bring in more attention than $$  :dunno 

:yeah    I would think exterior also.  Seems the A/C would keep it " active " all the time, trying to adjust to heat and A/C together.   

As to glass breakage.. :?  Dunno?  If it were interior, I could see this being an issue with trying to push heat back through the glass.  Not sure how the properties of heat dispersion work in this product yet.  If it is a rejection aspect maybe not so much of an issue, but if this film tries to deal with heat by absorption or some similar form of dispersion, then breakage would definitely be a concern.   

21 minutes ago, WearTheFoxHat said:

Something to keep an eye on . The physics of changing from absorbing to repelling heat will probably shorten the lifespan of this stuff. How with the adhesives used cope ?

This is what I was thinking on the "active" comment.   Constant fighting to change the temperature should be an issue with longevity. IMO.  

Also,,  an air conditioner doesn't just cool the area, it is also a dehumidifier.  So if you don't have A/C and you are using this film to try and compensate, are you going to have condensation issues at this point??  Also, an issue for the adhesive.  

edit... I could still see condensation being an issue,, even with A/C, almost.  

Edited by Bham