Does anybody tint part time?

I tint part time - I work in a shop for minimum wage 9-2, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I find most of my tint work revolves around the weekend so I usually end up with 4-6 cars in over Saturday to Monday.

Works great for me, the only set back is not being able to answer the phone on the days I'm at the minimum wage job. It covers my personal bills though so it's for piece of mind.

Reslly enjoying tinting though, need to take the leap into full time really.

4 hours ago, ErieTint said:

I went through the program at LLumar's facility in Martinsville Virginia the second week of October. Class went really well, instructor was super cool and there was only one other guy registered so it was pretty hands on and focused with instruction. Had to open an account and place an opening order to get registered for class, I would say that was the only downside. I did have help from my rep and a friend who used to tint with what to buy size and VLT wise though. They got me pretty well set up and I've only had to order one additional roll so far for a local PD's new K9 car.

Have been moving pretty slow getting things going but I am still working a full time job. I picked up a Graphtec plotter from my friend mentioned above and got that set up and running right before Christmas. Having doors cut for me is HUGE because my hand cutting skills were "meh" at best. I would like to be at the point where I could do a full vehicle in about four hours or less. Pulled in, cleaned, shrunk, tinted, cleaned again and back out in four hours or less. Figured that isn't too lofty and is a pretty good metric to shoot for. That would give me two or more vehicles per day ability wise. Would really like to replace my full time job with this once I am fast enough. I have a list with close to 30 people on it right now that I am slowly picking away at based on our schedules coordinating.

hellow @ErieTint I was told from a local tinter in the swfl that lumar will not just sell to anybody , and will not allow new installers to install there product,  I figured he might be lying since he seemed to be full of his self? But being that you have first hand experience with opening an account with llumar,  I figured i ask you, it seems from you post they gave you no hassle at in setting up an account and ordering film , Id like here from you on this matter. LLumar is one of the few films that can get big money in the Southwest Florida  area . The same guy told me he charges 450 for there high end CTX , which in florida is crazy as everybody is in the raise to zero, and its common to see people tint between 99-140

6 minutes ago, Go2Guy said:

hellow @ErieTint I was told from a local tinter in the swfl that lumar will not just sell to anybody , and will not allow new installers to install there product,  I figured he might be lying since he seemed to be full of his self? But being that you have first hand experience with opening an account with llumar,  I figured i ask you, it seems from you post they gave you no hassle at in setting up an account and ordering film , Id like here from you on this matter. LLumar is one of the few films that can get big money in the Southwest Florida  area . The same guy told me he charges 450 for there high end CTX , which in florida is crazy as everybody is in the raise to zero, and its common to see people tint between 99-140

@Go2Guy I did have some issues getting everything set up and going. Once the ball started rolling though, everything has been easy. They have minimum purchase requirements and metrics that you have to meet but I was OK with going down that road. Up here we are doing front roll ups for around $100 which is fairly common regardless of the brand the shop is using, whole cars for probably $200+ depending on vehicle. And I am talking ATC (or equivilent dyed film) not the CTX or ceramic film.

I work 4 10 hour days and off 3 days. My day job pays the bills and health insurance, and my side stuff pays for the hobbies. Tinting through the warm weather and tune and build bow strings in the winter. If I had a heated garage I would just tint year around since we only have one local car audio shop the brings in a guy once a week to tint. The next shop is an hour away. Everything I do is word of mouth and keeps me busy in a small community on both gigs. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to make tint a full time deal.

just went into "pre-retirement" so i decided to cut down and just part-time it.  i'm only trying to knock down $2000-$2500 per week so i won't have to work that much.  it sux taking a cut but i'll adjust to a nice simple life and cut the spending a bit.  feels good not having to work 40 hrs per week.

5 hours ago, Jerrybigbird said:

Boilermaker for 12 years once upon a time

Cool! Bryan Steam located in Peru, Indiana where I’m at. Use to be family owned but is now owned by Burnham Holdings.  Units that we build are pretty nice. Not a bad get up, but our specific facility and everything that comes with it it’s def not a place I want to make a life long career. But it’s been good for the past couple of years.