Window size vs tint size question

Hello, I have a question regarding window size and tint size. I have a potential customer that has an old classic car and I’m having some difficulty finding the window measurements. I’m new to the business just starting out and trying to do my first mobile tint job. 

He has a 1964 Oldsmobile Super 88 and wants a 25% tint. I found only a few sellers that offer 25% and they all only have 20”. So if the Oldsmobile window is 24” can I just purchase 2 of the 20” and splice them together? or do I have to find a tint roll that is the correct measurement of the window? If so how can I find the measurement of the window? I didn’t want to seem unprofessional and ask the customer to measure for me so I was hoping I could find this info online. 

Thanks!

6 hours ago, TintDude said:

That back window is going to be a bear, if you are inexperienced, you probably would not be able to get it in one piece anyway.

fl0117-267300_2@2x.jpg

Just turned down a 63 impala this week no stress for me back windows suck on these! Told him have a body shop take it out and i will tint it hahahah!!!

Edited by quality tintz

I'm not trying to be harsh, but just honest. I think if you have these particular questions, you should ask yourself if you are really ready to be offering this service professionally to retail customers since I understand you are new to the business. 

But to answer some of your questions: 

Window size: I never remember the size of any back window. You should stock enough tint in different sizes and lengths to cover most vehicles. I personally stock 40", 30", 24", and 20" to cover all (or most) of my bases. If you are starting out and on a budget I'd just buy 40" inch rolls and that should cover most of the back windows out there and also you can do the sides by cutting it in half. 

I don't personally know of any manufacturers that do 25% but when customers ask me if I have a particular % I just tell them the closest one to it that I have and they are usually ok with it. So I wouldn't specifically try and look for a 25% just for this customer. 

I wouldn't splice that window and like TD said an inexperienced tinter probably wouldn't get it done in one piece anyway. Honestly, save yourself some stress and pass that vehicle up. 

Most likely, he is asking for 25% because he read that is the legal limit where he lives. That is a reading after the film is installed, so to account for the light that the glass blocks by itself you need a lighter shade (35%). Once installed, it will read around 27-28%, depending on the glass in the car. 

PS.  Please do not try that car on your first job. You might never try tinting again.

If you are serious, there are manufacturers that offer training coarses. You could take an entry level position at a high volume shop. Every car is different, and should be tinted accordingly. Starting out tinting on your own, (with 0 experience) there is really no way for you to even gauge the quality of your work. Just because “the customer didn’t come back and complain “

does not mean that the job was of good quality.