Flat Glass Quote Help

On July 26, 2018 at 12:42 PM, DynamicATL said:

I have settled on 3 tier pricing for sqft depending on the size of the job.  I have double digits for smaller jobs under 250 sqft, slightly under double digits for medium jobs under 500 sqft, and a couple of bucks less for larger jobs above 500 sqft.  The customer can pick from 4 types of window films I offer all for the same price.  Then I add charges for ladder use, driving distance, additional people needed, etc.

That's kind what I was thinking. This job is just over 100 square feet so its relatively small. I have a house to go look at a bay window in for a guy thats something like 32 square feet. Almost not worth my time unless I crank up the square foot price.

On July 27, 2018 at 5:58 PM, Roach said:

I can see the times when doing something like that would be good - but I've never had anyone question why it was taking me as much time as it did to work up a quote. Maybe for a ball park figure.. but regardless of the quote, you'd still need measurements to make sure you have enough film. (Unless you keep film in stock - I don't tend to do that very often - which maybe I'm in the minority with that regard :chin )

I wouldn't expect to be rushed putting together a detailed quote. The people that get me are the ones that want a ball park right this second while they have you on the phone. I told the guy with the house I mention above a price and he said that sounded high. Had a guy quote him "limo" tint for his bay window at a total of $200. Well, I'm not gonna race that guy to $0. Plus, if he wants to install a very dark automotive film on a home window, more power to him. I quoted him a ball park of about double that but explained all of the variables. He says "the other guy didn't mention any of this or ask any of these questions." Shocker there... Needless to say, Tuesday I am going to the house to show him samples and take my own measurements.

On July 27, 2018 at 11:09 PM, Midtown Houston said:

It take many yrs of experience to get this right....till this day I hit myself in the head and be like fuuucckk... Just made a mistake on a job and quote a tech film Casper (18k just for this film) for cost and got the job....come to find out, I broke even on it... but made $5 per sq ft on 4800 sq ft. on deco film. 

so I got lucky to win the job on making nothing on a small part of the job...

I do that now in automotive. I honestly think its just part of being in business. How many pieces of trim did that carpenter scrap before he got everything right while trimming out a house? How many times did the painter touch up an area on a wall that he missed or touched or whatever? It happens. We as professionals have to work through those instances and minimize their frequency.

Thanks for the help everyone. Everyone here has been an inspiration in the time I have been doing this. If it weren't for Tint Dude I would probably be back in an office some where hating what I do and who I do it for. Wouldn't that just suck!??! :lol

On 7/26/2018 at 11:09 AM, Roach said:

I never list anything separate... just a grand total. (Unless they want, say a bedroom they aren't sure about - I'll list that on it's own) So I'll get the total sq/ft... and the price I want to charge per sq/ft.. so lets say that total is $750... then I add my truck roll charge, say $150.. and give them the total amount of $900. I don't leave measurements with them... or per window charges, etc. Nothing that they could give someone else over the phone which would allow another tint shop to quote. If they want to get other quotes - fine... no problem. But the other shop is going to have to come out and measure for themselves.

What info do you leave with them? I dont want to leave measurments and stuff anymore

Yeah... Pretty much that. If they are getting their living room, kitchen, and dining room done... I'll list them with the price it would be to tint them all. No measurements, no extra charges (like ladder work) no total sq/ft... None of which they would need.

I leave the quote, film samples, general film info etc.