Influx of installers in the industry?

If you look around..there are plenty of installers looking for work as well. But it has been my experience ... that many cases, most have been placed in positions where speed  and high volume tend to override the aspect of quality many places that are hiring seek out. I also believe it is a service that requires a true artist's eye and a careful hand. I think many people lack the willingness and patience to learn. I know , between clear film and tint application..our shop tends to be booked about two weeks out all the time.

Manufacturers are desperately trying to encourage existing shop owners to hire and train... the stock pile of future film buyers ...is getting low. Add to that..some of the chain store tint shops are selling a pipe dream to unwitting buyers..only for them to find that once a new hire is trained..they can't keep them locked up in the back room for 8.50 P/H...hence the huge turn over rate. 

I have said it numerous times before. Being a "tinter" is no different than being a house painter, plasterer, lawn mower, carpet installer, or any other un regulated trade where a legitimate license is not required. .. That also adds to the derelict problem in the labor force. 

I don't have the actual numbers, although I'm sure corporates have run them...on how many "tinters" are actual businesses as apposed to hobbyists. If I were to guess.. it's 1 in 60.. maybe worse.. 

Edited by TomTint

On 4/16/2019 at 3:53 PM, florida tinter said:

im trying to retire.......wonder if someone wants my business ?

Me too. However there is no one who really cares about doing quality work any more. Simply lost in this generation of people who have everything given to them and love their phones and not their cars.

I agree with TNTlady and KonSiva . I’ve worked part time for shops that consider themselves “high end” recently , and bottom line is they only care about quantity not quality. With the technology of plotters anyone who can half ass install a pre cut pattern thinks their a window tinter. However Looking at the classified /employment forum  here on Tintdude  is that there are lots of shops all over the country that get it and are willing to pay a good installer what they’re worth. 

On 5/3/2019 at 8:50 PM, WinderTinter1 said:

I agree with TNTlady and KonSiva . I’ve worked part time for shops that consider themselves “high end” recently , and bottom line is they only care about quantity not quality. With the technology of plotters anyone who can half ass install a pre cut pattern thinks their a window tinter. However Looking at the classified /employment forum  here on Tintdude  is that there are lots of shops all over the country that get it and are willing to pay a good installer what they’re worth. 

...if you ever call one of the shops that spam this forum with help wanted plees..... you would be rudely awakened by what they are offering for labor..... may as well be a Walmart greeter.