Roughest grit sandpaper on glass

Anybody test out and determine what grit you can use on the glass without scratching or blemishing in any way? I see people using less than 1500 grit and wonder how it's not scratching the glass or doing something to it somehow. One guy on FB a while back said he uses 400 grit on the whole back glass using a drill attachment. What's the roughest grit you've used successfully that won't scratch the glass?

59 minutes ago, pbalentine said:

1500 and 2000 is what I use. Leaning more toward just using 2000 mostly. Used 1500 on an old Lexus last week and it was fine.  What do guys think about those flexible blocks that come with the paper on them??

I only wrap them around a hard card for the stiffness. Sanding block I use on matrix. 

1 hour ago, pbalentine said:

1500 and 2000 is what I use. Leaning more toward just using 2000 mostly. Used 1500 on an old Lexus last week and it was fine.  What do guys think about those flexible blocks that come with the paper on them??

flexible sandpaper wrapped around an old squeegee or wrapped around a hard card wrapped with a towel works decent 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LIXEKZ4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_3BAsDbDBXFBGT

Oh man, just did 11’ Maxima and got like 6 peanuts. I knew this model could get peanuts, but skipped sanding and paid for it. I just steel wooled the hell out of it and shrunk nice and slow all over.  This is proof that steel wool isnt a enough. When they’re real thick, sand paper is what it takes. 

Nice tip by JH, wrapping the sand paper in a hard card. 

57 minutes ago, pbalentine said:

Oh man, just did 11’ Maxima and got like 6 peanuts. I knew this model could get peanuts, but skipped sanding and paid for it. I just steel wooled the hell out of it and shrunk nice and slow all over.  This is proof that steel wool isnt a enough. When they’re real thick, sand paper is what it takes. 

Nice tip by JH, wrapping the sand paper in a hard card. 

Do that from the center out pushing one direction never back and forth.