Dirt contamination problem

Guest Kmc

Ok I've been a tinter for a few years and still new and learning but I'm having problems with dirt specs here and there and I dont know what I'm doing wrong the shops I'm in aren't the best my prep style might be the problem I wipe my edges with a lint free towel razor blade everything the go over with a squeegee I know there could be allot of things that can be the issue but I really want to improve and fix the issues how do you all prep and tint if your in a dirty shop any advice would help thanks 

Contamination can be many factors. Easy for some and harder for others. The biggest are your prep and environment. I was tinting in my garage for many years and didn’t realize how good I had it. I use to have the garage open when tinting even with a slight breeze would get excellent results. Now that I’m in my new shop I have to have the roll up doors closed when tinting. I’ve also figured out that it has to be closed for a few minutes before peeling. I use to peel the backglass off of the car but can’t do that anymore and use my peeler. The small holes in the shop also contributes. I’ve patched up small holes with duct tape and has helped. There’s small holes at the top of the shop A frames where dust is coming in from my neighbors but I need a big ass ladder to get to. Hard water can be issues. To get excellent results you have to control the environment. Every day I use a leaf blower and dust mop multiple times a day. 

As for using razor blades I’m moving away from that as the new glass are chit and can scratch easy. Use a scrubbie! If you can’t control the environment then maybe it’s time to move. 

If the shop is dirty that gonna be hard to get it clean. For a clean install it starts with a clean, dust free shop and then where you peel has to be clean and of course the glass you’re installing on(surrounding panel & frame too). What squeegee are you using to clean??

Might be a good idea to start using a scrubbie for all the windows and I'm using a small rubber squeegee just use for a final wipe down after I razor clean the windows but I soap and mop the floors every morning but there is definitely small breeze that runs through the shop been trying to keep the floor and cars completely wet but still get results of specs everywhere unfortunately I know there are good printers that can tint even in the worst conditions and do flawless work so idk if its installer errors not making the proper steps or what 

As a suggestion to help with the issue, I have 2 of those cheap square 20" box fans they have at Walfart and basically everywhere for like $15-20, and i put these 20x20 filters on the intake side so the fans suction holds them in place and it makes a great air filter system that you can direct the air flow. I shut them when i have to, but good for leaving on overnight. 

20x20 filters (i use merv 13 rating because i use them at home too my kid has allergies, you can use merv 8, 11 and 13,  the merv 14 and up are for medical environments)-

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HTL3W02/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_tBqCDb81H3G6C

Fan-

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-Cool-Colors-20-Box-3-Speed-Fan-Model-B20301-Black/22614935

Edited by Tint Slayer
Clarity

Smookee408 it's all over it's not on the sides where I peel it's like in the middle all over and tint slayer that's a awesome idea I'm definitely gonna try that as well and see if it works you guys are definitely awesome for the tips hopefully I can get it all straightened out

I quit using the scrubbies to clean the windows and only razor the sides. I use micro fiber towels that I wash weekly on three hour cycle and are color coded for their uses. Orange for dirty work and green is clean, final pass before tinting and I use a fresh set or two on eash car. The orange ones I clean the gaskets with and the top edge of the glass. I do my final clean pass with my unger pro squeegee and whipe with the green one before install. 

You may need to also disassemble your unger squeegee and clean it good. Make sure it has a good blade in it and always keep extra inserts on hand for it to change out. Peal your backing off on a peeler board with your tint upside down and peel up with the liner going up. Always keep your peeler board clean. If you cut your film on the outside always clean the glass before cutting your patterns. This eliminates a lot of dirt from contaminating your peeler board, tools and film. 

Fortunately I always have clean installs due to these steps I take.