Getting started

Guest Dark Knight

Guest Dark Knight

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some advice on how one can get started with automotive window tinting. I want to get into the  business but I have no experience. Is it possible to buy window film without a business license? I want to practice on my own cars and family and friends' cars to gain experience before anything. What recommendations do you have on getting started? What do I start with first? What tools and equipment do I need? Any advice is appreciated. 

I am in the exact same boat.

Wanting to tint my own cars and I am a DIY person.

I spent hours and hours on youtube looking at how others do it, and tools they use.  Window tinting is a very small toolset.

I went ahead and just purchased all the tools and tint I needed to do my own cars.  then the extra will be used for friends and family cars, either free or cover the cost of materials to get my money back.

I did the following

- purchased tools from about 3 different places.  a few cheap items on amazon, rest at SolControl, NDGraphics and 44tools ( which i wont order from again... )   I am in canada, so going across boarder is a pain with taxes and duty.

- I already had a heat gun.

- i got : P2 sprayer, various squeegees and cards, blades, knife.   

- i ordered one roll of 5% Suntek, split roll cut in 24" and 36" .

Then, just went to town on my daughters car.  first window ( the small 1/4 glass ), took me about 8 tries.   

try - check, peal and re-do.

not much to it.

Rear window was the hardest... mostly because of contamination.   took me 3 tries.   it's not 100%.   there are a couple flaws with some debris.   but, for her car, she is very happy with it.... except I only see the flaws when I look at it.

To start off, with the tools and 1 full roll of tint cost me about $550 .

i have since gotten a second roll of 35%.

Now, it's just a matter of going a few cars for $50 - $75 to recover some cost.

I started tinting about a year and a half ago, I would buy cheaper tint to practice with (Lexen was my go to practice tint, and seems to hold up on my friends cars) and wasting a ton of $$$ on tint film after a few months I started getting decent enough to charge for it. I ended up getting a license and have a few hundred cars under my belt now, I’m still not the best and have to learn a lot but just takes a ton of repetition. Hardest thing for me was getting clean installs and learning how to properly clean a window before the install but overtime you learn what works best for you. 

Edited by Justint