Quick Poll on Tinting Job... What would you do if this was your car?

How much more is it to complete a side and rear tint install when existing tint needs to be REMOVED? When several people have mentioned roughly $300 for a decent tinting, I'm assuming that's on windows without tint.

I spoke to this guy, Mr. Sidney S. Browne of All Tunes in Lithonia, GA, about trying to reach some sort of fair resolution to this and he started screaming at me, accusing me of cutting the windows (there is one cut on the back when I was removing the rear tint, not pictured and on inside of glass, not outside like others) and trim, etc.

Conversation ended with "do what you need to do," which means I have no alternative but to file a lawsuit in small claims court. Done it couple times before, never lost a case, just a PITA. If he doesn't pay, then go back to court to get a sheriff to come to his store and just start taking stuff to sell at auction until the proceeds meet the judgment awarded.

Part of the process is proving damages, which can mean getting an estimate or two on the cost to remove and replace the tint, the cost of the tint I gave him and he installed improperly (now garbage), and get estimates on the cost to replace the rubber trim around windows and fix external window scratches.

As an aside, he claims they use a "template" for sizing tint so a razor is never near a window (well, then how did the scratches get there?).

@DynamicATL are you in Atlanta area and could write up a quote to (1) remove tint on all side windows - I didn't have correct size tint for rear, thank goodness - and replace with 35% carbon tint (it's a 2008 Mazda 3, so wasn't putting ceramic on it).

Any other quotes (on official looking paper) to do the same work so I can use in court to establish damages would be greatly appreciated!

9 hours ago, Tintguy1980 said:

My comment was satirical at best; I've been retired for seven years.

Go see DynamicATL.

The satire wasn't lost on me, lol, which is why I picked option 2 (as if it takes any thought to know the best option).

Hope you're enjoying retirement. Hey, can you tell me how much more it generally costs to do a tint job when it's a replacement job instead of starting from a clear canvas (e.g., no tint to remove)?

Many thanks.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:26 PM, JohnGalt said:

Conversation ended with "do what you need to do," which means I have no alternative but to file a lawsuit in small claims court. Done it couple times before, never lost a case, just a PITA. If he doesn't pay, then go back to court to get a sheriff to come to his store and just start taking stuff to sell at auction until the proceeds meet the judgment awarded.

That not how that works lol. You should know that since you've done it a couple times before. I get you hope he reads it and is scared, but when you are so far off, it takes all the bite out of the threat. hope you get it resolved. gaskets are cheap, I don't understand why he wouldn't pull the tint off and replace the rubber just to be done with it. 

I feel your pain with the tint job disaster. I always recommend checking reviews and researching before choosing a tint shop. I've also heard good things about ceramic tints for the best in-car sun protection.
As for your situation, it sounds like you have a few options. Going to another reputable shop and paying to fix the damage seems like a good plan. Although going to court can give you the satisfaction of winning and collecting, it can also be a hassle. You could try negotiating with the original shop and see if they'll take responsibility for the damages. If all else fails, filing a complaint or leaving a review could help warn others about their poor workmanship.

Thanks for your reply. The crazy thing is on Groupon (not best source for reviews) ALL TUNES in Decatur had excellent reviews and I believe when I checked Google they had positive ones there too. I thought the price was good because they were located in a somewhat shady part of town so their overhead (e.g., rent) must low.

Probably should have worked harder and looked more closely for "fake" or self-posted reviews under account made up by ALL TUNES.

Thanks again!