Never doing a back window again

My back HURTS! Had a damn 02 civic coupe in the shop for 20% ceramic all around and between having 0 space in the back and having such a tight decklid, I’m HURTING. I’m genuinely considering becoming an SUV/hatchback/truck only shop, I’m tired of crawling all up in the backseat and trunk for the same pay as a truck that I can do in 1/4 of the time with less effort.

Rant over, this shit sucks

I'll bite.

My back was jacked before I even started tinting; slipped L5 vertebrae with mild spina-bifida, mild scoliosis at lower thoracic, anterior thoracic, mild spina-bifida at T1, reverse cervical curve, and bone spurs at C6/C7 have grown together.

Tinted for 35+ years. So, ask me how my back is doing. The upside is I don't have to tint anymore, but I do my own cars and house (slowly and carefully), I can still walk, and I only run for my life. Unable to lift more than 25 pounds. I cannot climb ladders but will do it to save a life. My low back gives me grief daily, my neck is f**cked and bursitis has limited the use of my shoulders.

I exercise to keep necessary movement and will do so until they throw dirt on my face.

Now, tell me ... what did you say about your back?

Just charge more for them. I’ll add anywhere from $50-$100 for most Sedans. They are usually more work than any vehicle. A Sedan vs hatch has a long list extra BS to do: Headrest removal, deck/headliner prep, 3rd brake light removal, tight work space(coupes are worse), hard 1/4 windows, harder rear rollups, and huge curvy window to shrink & install. 

Edited by pbalentine
Adding more content

Somtimes what it takes is figuring out a new way to do things - I was told by a doctor, for my knees & back, to stop kneeling on the back seat to do the rear glass. Well how am I supposed to do that?!? So what I do is go sideways - most rear seats fold down so you can put larger items in the trunk. So I sit down on that seat back and swing my legs into the trunk and I'm sitting down with the glass in front of me, instead of kneeling and having to crane my neck up. 

To do the install I sit down, backwards, on the seat (coming in from the passenger side) with the film draped "superman" style in my outstreached arms, and then just lean back and swing my arms into the car. 

Will post a video of this technique soon.

22 hours ago, mrsunshades said:

Somtimes what it takes is figuring out a new way to do things - I was told by a doctor, for my knees & back, to stop kneeling on the back seat to do the rear glass. Well how am I supposed to do that?!? So what I do is go sideways - most rear seats fold down so you can put larger items in the trunk. So I sit down on that seat back and swing my legs into the trunk and I'm sitting down with the glass in front of me, instead of kneeling and having to crane my neck up. 

To do the install I sit down, backwards, on the seat (coming in from the passenger side) with the film draped "superman" style in my outstreached arms, and then just lean back and swing my arms into the car. 

Will post a video of this technique soon.

I was too long in the torso to do the seat fold down approach. Remember those old corvettes with bowed glass and vertical defrost that wouldn't pop open? Now that's where you break out a plank, fold down the upright of the passenger seat and crawl in to work on your back.

I did a similar style by backing into the back seat, cheek walk to a central position, and turn my orangutan arms/twist torso toward the back glass. Well, up until L5 spoke harshly to me. Then it was a forward dip in, maneuvering legs to have feet on floor board and resting knees at the edge of the back seat.

Back seats have always been about getting it done; depending on the 'it', if you get my drift. The taller one is the tougher.