Peanut Killer

Dano

I just found the best answer, so far, to the peanut problem plaguing the Dodge rear window.

Normally I will use #3 steel wool w/soap and water, microfiber wipe, mist, squeegee, 70% alcohol, squeegee, flush, squeegee, flush and lay film.

A few days ago the alcohol was out of reach and I picked up a bottle of 15% Rapid Tac/85% water and the film stuck down better than ever. I thought it was a fluke and tried it again on a windshield and got the same results.

Rapid Tac is usually used as a surface prep cleaning solution for vinyl graphics and also good for wet applications of factory truck bedside graphics, think FX4 and TRD logos.

Sometimes I win by accident, this was one of those times. I hope this helps everyone else win as well.

20240220_134600.jpg.c642dd35fd063397484b8a9e52aff1ce.jpg

3 hours ago, Tintbox said:

That's awesome. Do you normally dilute your Rapid Tac for vinyl applications as well?

About 30% for high tack or on questionable surfaces where the paint might lift.

Close to full strength if I'm laying something high tack out in the summer sun on hot metal.

It's also good for floating vinyl on glass. As well as stacking colors. It lets you reposition into the right place before tacking.

Allegedly you "can't" lay wrap film wet, but I've been doing cut vinyl graphics with wrap film and floating it down for almost 10yrs. Sometimes you only get one shot to get in in the right spot. (Picture laying a Shelby hood kit for a bodyshop on fresh/hot paint and it has to leave that afternoon) You have to let it tack up for a while before pulling the transfer tape and re-squeegee with a banana/monkey strip after.

No heating any of the vinyl until after the solution evaporates.

I showed this product to a paint tech and his thoughts were that it smelled like it had an activator chem in it to help the glue to kick faster without having an alcohol that would break down the glue.

About 20yrs ago I would put 1/2 a cap full in my flat glass solution to lock the edges faster and stop water running on emulion windows. For automotive I recommend only using it as a surface prep.

Smoother shrinking and you won't fight peanuts because they won't be there. I haven't had any peanuts for so long I forget they are a thing. 

I use a torch now on most windows but it's the way that you attack the shrink more than what you use to shrink the film.  

If the film looks distorted when you lift it off the glass then it's going to try and pucker up....