wet shrink with a diffrence

Obsolete?!  Yeah, I'll find a couple cars for you and I dare you to try and dry shrink them.

[*]307369

Obsolete!! I knew I'd get you wet bags with that. Off course I use it for a few side glasses. So you don't dry shrink at all?

As far as daring: Any day, any car.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Obsolete?!? Yeah, I'll find a couple cars for you and I dare you to try and dry shrink them.

[*]307369

shouldnt every tinter know how to do both?

[*]307402

haha

ok sure whatever works for you...

but when you get a 944,targa,those new vettes, try dry shrinking it and cant...dont call me.. :poop

[*]307419

If you are talking backlites, muy tinter recently did a 944 and 2 '05 vettes 1 piece with dry shrinking, came out beautiful, so I wouldn't say can't.

Guest afterhours

I havent ever wet shrunk any back glass... should I try? is there something I don't know about wet shrinking??? I usually just wet shrink really flat stuff... I haven't done a huge variety of cars but I've done alot of cars. about the hardest thing I've one pieced yet was an eclipse. how much harder does it get??? :poop

Guest metint
I havent ever wet shrunk any back glass... should I try? is there something I don't know about wet shrinking??? I usually just wet shrink really flat stuff... I haven't done a huge variety of cars but I've done alot of cars. about the hardest thing I've one pieced yet was an eclipse. how much harder does it get??? :lol2

[*]307534

If you are already doing dry with success, why go backward.

Wet shrink is harder on the raw PET material, dyes, UV absorbers vs. dry shrink.

:lol2

Guest clear image
I havent ever wet shrunk any back glass... should I try? is there something I don't know about wet shrinking??? I usually just wet shrink really flat stuff... I haven't done a huge variety of cars but I've done alot of cars. about the hardest thing I've one pieced yet was an eclipse. how much harder does it get??? :dunno

[*]307534

The only advantage of wet shrinking is its ability to "hold" the film in place on the glass as you shrink it. The problem with it is, you have to heat the film much more to achieve the same results. The water keeps the film cool, which is working totally opposite to what you are trying to do. Wet shrinking allows you to shrink mainly right @ the finger you are heating. Dry shrinking allows you to shrink a broader area, stressing the film less and heating the film less. No ghosting especially with metal films. Platium Plus, Endurance, Marquie etc. For some windows that seem hard to shrink, do it dry, make your "H" pattern, with fingers on the top and bottom, pre-shrink the "wide" part of the finger first. The part of the finger closest to the top, and closest to the bottom of the window, working the finger up from the bottom toward the center and down from the top working toward the center, until the finger becomes managable. Then shrink the smaller fingers that are left as you normally would. Hope that came across clear.

Archived