Need Tinting Advice

Guest Ibizan

Guest Ibizan

I'd like to tint my 04 WRX wagon but have never done it so I'm looking for an pro installer. I've done some research so I'm hoping some of you could offer a few words of wisdom or verify some of answers I've found...

1. How many of you have a metallic-based tint as opposed to plastic? I've heard that metallic is better in quality and worth the cost difference but also that it could interfere with radar detectors.

2. I'll be moving to Wisconsin where the tinting % is different b/w the front doors (50%) and rear doors (35%). Wouldn't this look like crap? I'd think that 50% is pretty light so would you take the chance on a tint ticket and match the doors?

3. I was advised to get a tint with a lifetime replacement warranty. Is this possible with plastic-based tinting or only with metallic?

4. Are there any brand names of tint that are recommended or does this differ from installer to installer?

5. Any pics of your vehicles with percentages would be great. I'm overseas until next month and my WRX won't be delivered until I get home. Of course I still need find a tinter a reputable tinter in WI but my dealer is trying to set something up.

Thanks all. Cheers. :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Zrok

ok, there are 'dyed' films, and there are also metallized films..there are even 'hybrid' films that are dyed with metal...I prefer an all metallized film, and what that means to you as a consumer is that it will reject more heat than a dyed film of the same percentage due to the metal being an insulator. also most metallized films have a lifetime warranty. personally I use madico film, but you'll find that most of the tinters on here use a wide array of films for different reasons, but if you can find an installer that uses metallized film, it's worth the extra money, and you should also have a warranty card after the install, or if you're in question, ask to read the warranty before the tint job. hope this advice helps. :P

Guest Zrok

as far as metallized films interfering with radar detectors, I cant say for sure, however I do tint alot of cars that have them, and they've never been back with a ticket wanting me to pay it due to the film causing the radar to not operate correctly. as far as what's legal and what looks good. all I can say is the law is the law, ans most tint laws allow for a medical exception for darker tint than whats legal, see an eye doctor for this, or just roll with what's legal. I know the wisconsin cops are pretty strict on that stuff, so I woldn't take any chances. hope this helps also.

Guest Ibizan

Your advice here is helping a lot. Thanks for that. I've had people recommend Formula One and LLumar as quality tinting sources. Does anyone have experience with either of them? I saw that both come with a lifetime replacement warranty if installed by an authorized dealer. Couldn't find an F1 dealer in WI though but it may be worth the hassle to drive 4 hours to Minnesota and have it done. :lol

Guest Zrok

where in WI are you??? I'm less than 4 hours from WI and I can put some madico on your car with a lifetime warr. for 130. IF you call me, if you call the store I work at, it'll be more....not much more, but more. so where are you at??? thanks.

mike

Guest Ibizan
where in WI are you?
Hey Mike, right now I'm in Australia. In June I'll be moving to WI, either Madison or LaCrosse. I also have family in eastern IA, near Davenport and Dubuque, both of which borders IL so I'll be hanging out there as well. Where are you at?

No worries calling you, it's only 3-cents/minute from Australia to the States.

Never heard of Madico before (but until a couple days ago I didn't know much about tinting at all). I assume this is a specific type of tint?

Thanks again, cheers. :lol

Archived