Need Tinting Advice

Guest Ibizan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thetintshop

here's what I do; in texas we don't charge tax on window film, some places do, but by law, you're not supposed to. I tell people "the price is $155, and there's no tax on that".

I'm not lying, I'm not being dishonest. I'm being very truthful!!! there is NO TAX. but for some reason they think you're "cuttin them a deal", and they're happy about it.

whatever works without being dishonest, I'm game.

Guest Zrok

FX...I normally don't follow football (don't shoot please) I'm just not into sports, however, if you're gonna be in town, by all means let me know and we can hang out. I've already spent the time on the phones. the guy around the corner is installing 3M film, lifetime warr. one piece rears. ziebart is doin one piece rears 5 year warr (on charcool ??) and upselling to onyx for an extra 35 bucks with lifetime warr. the other guys in town really aren't much competition they're small time and charging a little less, but using junk film (IMO-johnson, llumar) ((SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE...the johnson and llumar stuff he's using is the dirt cheap that's gonna fade stuff)) and I'm still within the same pricing or close to it and offering better film, better install...maybe I can add 5 bucks or so for now??

and how do you get around charging tax in texas?? that's weird...you're selling a product = sales tax?? and they say you're not supposed to....I WANNA MOVE TO TEXAS :shoot1

Guest atypicaldave

Couldn't resist this one.

Met a tinter from AL/GA line at a distributor's annual gig who was getting tired of the price wars and decided to do something different. He raised his prices $50 across the board and stuck to 'em.

What this did was to set himself apart from the rest and I remember reading that in a book on selling. All else being equal the consumer will shop price.

Capitalize on what makes you different from the rest. This guy had customers coming to him just because he was high, they wanted to find out why.

I have done this and found it works, however, you must be prepared to lose some biz. It eventually comes back up and you find you work less and profit more. Hmmm, ain't that what I went into biznes for to begin with?

I was once told that if I could not turn away or let a job go by, I did not belong in biz for myself.

Wisconsin is very strict on tint, I have much of my extended family up there who have experienced prob's after I go up and tint their cars.

Guest Rama

I agree, I can't stand change, makes it harder in bookeeping, always having to enter cents. I round everthing off to 5's. As to low prices, my prices are going up June 1st, (My competition that hang out here too, can take note, its time to go up guys!) I am booked for almost 2 weeks out, so its time to raise em! We are going to $260 for a four door car. I am not the highest or the lowest in general in my area. I've found when I do go up, everyone else usually does too. If you take the lead and raise the bar, you'll find others will tend to do the same thing. If you really want to be adventurous, call the local shop owners, IDENTIFY who you are first, as they will probably know anyway. Explain you feel the prices in your area are too low, and all of you could make more money, you will be substantially raising your prices, and they can either make a small haul with more work and more time in being under you, OR they can work smarter and less often by getting more money per rig. You can't sit there and price the market with them, that would be colluding and is illegal, but you can let them know your intention and see where it goes from that. Also, some will pay a higher price, BECAUSE its high, they figure if your charging more, its probably cause they are getting more. And, what exactly is wrong with sitting your people down and training them how to answer tint calls? Teach them what to say and how to say it. If your not sure what to say yourself, go undercover and call some people on here in the registry and ask for prices anonymously, just use your cell phone. You will get the gamut for sales pitches, take what you like, modify it for you and watch the money roll in. The only reason I am saying to go undercover is not to irritate others, its just to keep them natural, if they know its you, everything will come out different. Its harder to sell to someone you know is NOT buying than to do it for real. IF you do that, try to ask believable questions that a tinter won't figure out in the first question that you know far too much to really want a tint job!!

personally, I think the price.95 thing is bullshit

:lol and Atypicaldave, You finally posted something I agrre with! :lol:lol Because that's exactly what I do, I don't want the volume, but I don't need it either by charging more....

Archived