Need Tinting Advice

Guest Ibizan

Guest Zrok

so when the typical phone call goes as such:

cust: so how much do you charge for a '98 honda accord 4-door?

me: 140

cust: when can you do it?

what happens if I tell them this

me:160 (for example)

cust: allright, thanks CLICK

then they don't call back. now when that same customer doesn't call back for the appointment, and more and more customers keep calling the other shops due to their price shopping, then I figure I'm really scraping together a living, and possibly lookin for another career???

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintslut

I would keep the price at 140, but only give them an OFF brand of dyed

film for that price. Upsell to the brand name.. Very few customers

ever ask what brand of film you use.

Guest Zrok

see, then I gotta get used to using sh***y dyed film, and the problems associated with that, and stock even more inventory. so what's the best way to handle this? I'm just curious, not trying to justify what I'm doing any 'constructive' criticism? the local ziebart shop sells charcool for a cheap price, but then when you get there, they upsell you to onyx...most of my customers HATE that crap. so what do I do?? the 'ol "bait and switch?" just wondering, what do most of you do??

I don't know why everyone is afraid to set a higher price. If you have a bunch of goofs giving it away, why do you have to? I understnd local pricing varies, but I just don't get the matching price mentality at all. Lowballers can only do so much work, eventually they have to either lick it and stick it turning out crap, or raise their prices. Call me crazy, but my philosphy is, Someone has to be the highest. :dunno

we are the highest priced shop in town, at a big whoppin 169 for a 4 door, other shops are like 164 and s**t like that, just a couple dollars cheeper, wasnt too long ago we were tinting that same car for 147. and all the other thops were around 150, would be cool if a tinter could call other shops and disguss ALL raising prices, so customers have no choice on the price, thats in fantasy tint land though, be nice if a customer could call and everybody say 189 or whatever, no lowballing.

Guest Zrok

so OT you prefer to be the highest in town, or tied for the highest? and if the shop around the corner is 10 bucks more, then shoult I tie with them at least? what would be anappropriate adjustment?? just curious

Bottom line zro is...Low prices hurt everyone down the road, I use to charge about 1/3 more than you do now way back in the late 70's/early 80's..That's why it freaks me out when all these "newer" tinters give the crap away. :dunno

Archived