1991 Camaro

Guest potzy

Hello all, now I dont do to much American stuff but I got this customer of mine that has a 91 Camaro and wants it tinting, fair enough I said but I just need to check on whats what. Ive looked on the makes and models here and the old Google thingy, dont look that bad a job but the only thing I can see is that it dosent have a black band around the edge( I may be wrong )and the heater tags look a pain in the rear to cut around.... I would aperciate any feed back you can give me or hits un tips

Thanks chaps

Stu

defroster braids suck....I have left the 3/4" band down the side untinted and have put some tint on them....either way they suck. The window itself is not hard. Lay it on wet and you can pretty well lay it flat without heat. If you get any fingers they will be a few small ones at the top of the glass.

I hang that tint over my head and "walk" it into the car. I set up my tool box for a step to get up into the back of the car. Only problem with that is if they have some stupid speaker box in there.....

good luck and just know it is not as hard as it looks...

I thought those DFLs are going to be a mother but ive come across this type of work on euro cars, MK1 mondeo has the DFLs on the inside and porsche 944 I think...cant remeber, I havent priced the job yet so il spank the guy for it and if he decides to have done il let you know how it gose.

Thanks for the quick responce chaps.

Guest Key West

They are not a problem shrinking wise, but the defogger braids are a huge PITA. I cut around them, and the 3\4 in daylight gap gets filled in with "cheater" tape. It's not worth trying to piece a 3\4" piece, cuz the peel strength of the film wont be there. It'll peel eventually.

Guest Texstar
depending on the condition, I'd try to pop them things off....the braids will pop off the glass, obviously the defroster won't work, but it will look soo much better.....and, also, depending on the condition, it could be a PITA!! Good luck!

If I remember correctly can't you sodder(sp) those back on

the thing is that if it is that old the defroster may not even work before you get it.....if so then yank them.....scrape the glass as smooth as can be....... that is what I am getting that Tintinator is saying.

I cut around the braids and tint the 3/4in gap. I used to paint the gap with flat black paint.

Make sure you don't heat the bottom corners it tends to keep the film from snapping in. Just run the fingers to the top and shrink them out up there. A little extra trimming might need to be done on the inside of the braid after the install, so make sure you clean the braid really good. I use a toothbrush to scrub it out, and make sure not to flush to much water over it before the install, preventing any dirt behind it from running out.

Archived