New UK Tint Laws

Guest Tint Bob

just spoke to the guys that trained me, they are also my current supplier of film! I asked the installer what he was doing about this 'new' law? he says he tries to get the customer to order clear security film on the front? but most people still want film on the front so he is still fitting light film! either 35%,40% or 50% only on the fronts but only if they have been told about the change in the laws! also they only invoice the back windows!!! thats what I'm going to do! our laws up here in scotland can be broken with just a simple omission! lost count of the amount of reports about court cases falling apart because of bad paperwork etc.! the procurater fiscal wont take a window tint vialation to court because it would cost too much! thats the way our system works! the worst that could happen is the police stop you for a spot check then give you a producer to remove it! I tell my customers this and so far no one has bothered about it??? I'm just going to be tint happy this year!! hey leo!! I received a letter and samples from a new company called moonraker??? they do films like you various colours to chrome etc. even a new black stainless tint?? plus they sell in rolls!! of 24" wide by either 50 ft or 100ft!! :booga

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Customkay

Right, Its has just taken me ages to read through all of that thread and its nice to know there are others out there that care :lol. I have a tint shop in the North East of England and I have always told my customers that anything under 70% is illigal, however most of our customers go for 35% anyway and I have never had any problems with the police on this. In fact im doing a coppers car next tue and he went for the 35%.

The police don't seem very interested at the moment but as window tinting is becoming more and more popular the rules will become stricter (I think). I don't want this to affect my business but I know its gonna!

The laws in several countries have been reversed so it is possible to do. But we do need to work together in this. My suppliers are willing (probably) to send a letter out to all of the uk tint shops they supply so we can try to get more people on board. But if the law can be reversed elswhere it can be done here too (hopefully). Are we gonna try???

if you want me to put my name to any kind of action that gets this problem noticed then count me in! but judging by the amount of replies recently from the uk tinters on this forum I dont think its going to hold up for much longer???? as I said in previous post, probaly the best thing that'll happen to me is if this goes to court one day 'cause then you can argue the point with a judge and the way scottish law is,if you have a valid point then it WILL be heard! I'd love to point out that the department of transport asked the ggf for a report into vlt's and the ggf got the police involved in tests and they came to the conclusion that 30% was the agreed lowest limit!!! then the dep. of trans. decided to ignore it anyway and stick with the current 70%??? go figure? argument---if the standard 35% is deemed illegal, why arent sunglasses illegal to use while driving? most sunglasses are at least double the darkness of 35% yet thats ok? m.o.t stations have no problems with any kind of tint, that means the windows are roadworthy in their eyes and they are responsible for giving out certificates to confirm the car is roadworthy! so if the dep. of trans. deems tint on the front unroadworthy but the people responsible for deciding that a car is roadworthy, say the car is ok???? who are we too listen too? I'm going to start sending multiple e mails to the dep. of transport and the ggf until I get some feedback!

Hi, UK ladZZZ!!!! MAX POWER plannin' tour to Riga this May, to our show AutoExotica, www.autoexotica.lv. Previous was PRACTICAL CLASSIC tour 2001 (U can read about me at PRACTICAL CLASSIC 2001, 12 and 2002, 1 cover stories). So U can join their team I think we all can have good time...The best way to change laws is public opinion... The best way to make it - THIRD POWER - PRESS...So we can :thumb or :beer (like told my fiend and partner Jed the best in Your beer - price :lol:lol:lol6 ) and discuss all problems...No GGF no EWFA nobody will do it on our place... Like U Englishmans told WANT THING TO BE DONE DO IT YOURSELF. I am living in the same European country with the same laws, believe me. And believe me ONLY ONE FROM TEN CARZZ DON'T TINT DRIVERS WINDOWS. And believe me they tint it with some 5,15,20 filmZZZ... So. let's do it ladZZ....MAX POWER BALTIC TOUR planned on early May, hope we'll did it :lol

Guest Tint Bob

Hi Guys

Well my course of action is to carry on useing 35% on the front drop glass for the time being ie until some sh!t hits the fan!!!

Then we might start fitting 50%, by the way we only bill B pillar Back now <yeah>

Well that's what it says on your bill sir!!!!

Interestly I had a visit last week from a couple of guys who work for The local Traffic Police, my first reaction on seeing the high viz Volvo was "oh sh!t somebodys been done!"

But it turned out to be one of the guys whos car we tinted last year (35/20%) he was just using what was a slow day to chew the fat and bring a buddy down to "talk window tint"

Just by chance he had received a letter from the Government (well Dept of Transport!) that day regarding window film.

I can send anybody a copy who wants one mailed over to them, just post on the board and I will send it on.

Anyways the jist of the letter is that the bastards had this sh!t all sown up in October 2003!! I quote

" In conclusion I would just like to touch on the other main issue we disscussed at our last meeting- which is the question of bringing vehicles back into compliance with the provisions of Reg 32 as reagrds VLT. My understanding is that the GGF (Glass & Glazing Fed) is doing all it can to encourge members, as quickly as possible, to recall vehicles that may inadvertently have been fitted with illegal films.

I should be very glad to have confirmation of this fact and also to have some indication of what timescale is envisaged"

Unquote.

Just who the f**k do the GGF think they are?

Are they going to pay the postage/ink etc to mail my customers?

This really stinks, these faceless goons are playing with our lives and the GGF lays down, pulls their pants down and says "whos first?"

We really do need to start acting on this, I think a professional organisation needs to be formed (and to have sod all to do with the GGF)

We need to protect our business, our customers business and our staff who we employ.

Well over to you UK guys, am I just farting in the wind or is this now time to stand and be counted?

TintBob UK

We really do need to start acting on this, I think a professional organisation needs to be formed (and to have sod all to do with the GGF)

We need to protect our business, our customers business and our staff who we employ.

:shock:lol6:lol6 Me not completely from UK but I am ready to do something...What I can help - some publisity in magZZZ etc...No GGF or EWFA will help us... Only they need some member money...We need real help...

There are NO EXPLAINS WHY drivers glass must be 35%... No REAL ARGUMENTS...

35% from what? Clear glass? Clear air? It's big difference. Clear galss can show You 15%...There are famous lawyer in Russia he won appr. judges ot this topic..

P.S.Sorry may be my English is not so good to understand :passout

Guest motaglaze
just spoke to the guys that trained me, they are also my current supplier of film! I asked the installer what he was doing about this 'new' law? he says he tries to get the customer to order clear security film on the front? but most people still want film on the front so he is still fitting light film! either 35%,40% or 50% only on the fronts but only if they  have been told about the change in the laws! also they only invoice the back windows!!! thats what I'm going to do! our laws up here in scotland can be broken with just a simple omission! lost count of the amount of reports about court cases falling apart because of bad paperwork etc.! the procurater fiscal wont take a window tint vialation to court because it would cost too much! thats the way our system works! the worst that could happen is the police stop you for a spot check then give you a producer to remove it! I tell my customers this and so far no one has bothered about it??? I'm just going to be tint happy this year!! hey leo!! I received a letter and samples from a new company called moonraker??? they do films like you various colours to chrome etc. even a new black stainless tint?? plus they sell in rolls!! of 24" wide by either 50 ft or 100ft!! :booga

yeah ,ive done a few cars with it looks great,check the pics on website.not too sure about the legal side of it thouhg .comes out pretty dark once installed.www.motaglaze-tint.co.uk

Archived